Prologue

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This story will contain spoilers from the manga, please proceed with caution.

It's difficult to grasp what exactly happened to Mr. Leonhart on this day. He was watering his garden in the morning, but as time passed by; he was arrested by Marleyan officers and then he was thrown into Marley's prisons.

Marley, that was the place that an Eldian like him and his adopted daughter, Annie, lived in.

They were not kind enough to treat the Eldians as normal human beings, they lived in an internment zone and they were discriminated against. Their lives weren't good, but Mr. Leonhart knew that it's better than living outside in a world riddled by Titans.

Titans that Marley made.

The ultimate punishment that an Eldian can face is that of a fate worse than death, all what it takes is a simple spinal fluid injection and they will be turned into mindless Titans, forever to roam the world with no hope of getting any kind of freedom.

Nevertheless, Mr. Leonhart figured that the reason he was inside a prison cell to begin with was simply because of a conspiracy that spread around Marley like a wildfire.

The conspiracy was that some Eldians within the internment zone were willing to conspire against the government of Marley. A long time ago, there were Eldians who conspired against the government, but it all ended in failure and all of those suspected in aiding the conspiracy were titanized immediately.

Fears about this conspiracy resurfaced when the government found the "truth" about this conspiracy. Apparently, an Eldian who was loyal to the Marleyan government accused many people of aiding this conspiracy.

Among the accused was Mr. Leonhart himself.

There were many men, women and even children within these prison walls. Mr. Leonhart only hoped that his predictions would be wrong, but as time passed by, it became more apparent.

They will be titanized.

Mr. Leonhart would've cared less about his life, but he worried most for his daughter. She promised him to come back home safely, but what if she comes back home and she doesn't find him?

What if she comes back to Marley, only to be prosecuted and be fed to a titanized warrior candidate so that candidate can inherit her power?

He felt helpless, he did not know how should he even communicate with her. He had a pen and a paper within his pockets (The Marleyan Officers didn't bother inspecting him completely anyway), but he did not know how could he send her a message: a message about his demise and a message to warn her.

He was almost certain that he will be titanized, but he did not want his daughter to suffer a dark, brutal fate.

A man who wore a dedicated suit walked in front of his cell, he knocked on the bars slowly; releasing an echo that spread across the dirty dungeons of Marley. Mr. Leonhart turned around and he instantly recognized the face of the man who stood before his cell.

He was an old friend, and his name was Luis.

"Luis? Luis is that you?!". Mr. Leonhart stumbled towards the prison cell and he grasped the cold, iron bars. His eyes widened in surprise and anticipation as he looked at his old friend (Who was also a Marleyan officer).

Luis hissed and he placed a finger over his mouth. "Be quiet! We do not want to awake the guards". He said. "They are in deep slumber, but if you raise your voice any more; they will surely awake".

"But you are a high-ranking officer, I doubt that they'd care if you were talking to an Eldian like me".

Silence followed and neither of the two men said any word to each other. As the impending doom of Mr. Leonhart weighed heavily in their minds; the atmosphere slowly became suffocating.