Strings

Izumi and Mirio where walking down down the streets as they patrolled the area Overhaul was supposed to be around.

Mirio: Hey! You never told me your hero name.
Izumi: Oh right, my name is Ilektra!
Mirio: And why is that?
Izumi: Well its a derivation if electron in greek, my brother helped me choose it. I went with it because my quirk allows me to manipulate energy.
Mirio: Oh! I see! Thats cool!
Izumi: What is yours?
Mirio: I'm LeMillion!
Izumi: LeMillion?
Mirio: Yes! Its because I want to be able to save one million people!
Izumi: I see, thats a cool name too!
Mirio: Well thanks! You know, I was thinking that when you graduate along with your brother, you two should definitely work together!
Izumi: Y-you think?
Mirio: Yeah, I can see you would be an unstoppable duo!
Izumi: T-thanks.... But I am still not at the level of my brother.... I need to work hard to be like him.
Mirio: Why do you want to be like him?
Izumi: Well, because he is someone I admire, someone who is in a different level than me and just better than me.
Mirio: If you keep comparing yourself to him, you will reach nowhere you know?
Izumi: Why?
Mirio: You are both different people with different traits, if try to become like him you will be just doing something impossible, I beleive what you want to do is improve right? That doesnt mean changing your whole personality, take what you have and build something great with it! If you want someone to compare to, dont compare yourself to someone else! Compare your current self to your previous self, and you will see truly just how much you have improved!

A few tears formed in Izumi's eyes and she quickly cleaned them.

Izumi: Thank you...
Mirio: No problem! Hey, why did you decide to become a hero?
Izumi: Well... My parents where heroes so it was only natural.... Then I realized after watching a documentary by accident when I was little that the world of heroes.... Is a really dangerous place.....
Mirio: Which documentary did you watch?
Izumi: "The life not in camera" I was four....
Mirio: Oh yeez...... Yeah that was grusome documentary.....

Mirio shivered.

Mirio: I had nightmares when I watched it, I can only compare it to some WW2 documentaries I have seen, the images are way too graphic, and you watched it at four?! That most have been traumatizing!
Izumi: I know..... It really made me scared about what awaited us out there.... I almost gave up the idea if being a hero.... But then... I remembered my brother.
Mirio: Your brother?
Izumi: Yeah.... He wanted to be a hero too... And the idea of him ending up like the people in that documentary.... It really made me scared.... Especially since ge didnt had a quirk and we were always told that the quirkless are the weakest, which I now see was just a bunch of BS..... So I decided I would be a hero to protect him... So that he wouldnt have to be in the dangers of the hero world.... I also tried to discourage him from being a hero..... And.... And I did it in the most.... I dont even know how to describe it..... I am just.... So ashamed....
Mirio: You dont have to tell me if you dont want to, but I am here to listen to you, not judge you.

Izumi debated if to tell Mirio or not.... In the end she opened up...

Izumi: I... I tried to bully him out of the idea of being a hero.... I wanted him to stop thinking about being a hero, so I thought if I scared him he wouldnt want to be a hero.... I basically became what I wanted to protect him from.... I never realized all the damage that I was truly doing to him...... When I realized.... I felt awful, I hated myself..... I thought about quitting being a hero.... In the end I just continued because I had nothing more to do.... But then I decided to become a hero so that maybe that way I could in some way pay for what I did in the past.... Its okay if you see me with disgust after hearing this.... I see myself with disgust.
Mirio: You shouldnt.
Izumi: W-why? What I did was what a villain would do!
Mirio: Yeah but the Izumi who did it was the Izumi from the past right? You have worked hard to be a better Izumi!
Izumi: That still doesnt erase what I did....
Mirio: You are right it doesnt.
Izumi: So?
Mirio: Izumi, what you did was something bad, there is no denying, but well you did it because you had very little options, you were four right? You barely had any experience in the world, how were you supposed to know better? You did what your brain with the limited experience it had thougjt was the best idea.
Izumi: But I continued doing that for ten years!
Mirio: Did someone ever correct you?
Izumi: No.
Mirio: Did your teachers ever correct you? Parents? Anyone?
Izumi: No...
Mirio: Then how were you supposed to know any better? Did someone praise you?
Izumi: I had a few teachers who encouraged it....
Mirio: It wasnt totally your fault, the people around you, especially the adults failed in their job to correct you. We grow and learn thanks to our experience with things, we learn things are bad because one way or another we know that doing it will have bad consequences, but if the people who are supposed to teach you the consequences never did, it would have been hard for you, possible but hard, and it would have taken more time, in your case it took ten years. Izumi, what you are doing in something very few and by that I mean very few people have the courage to do, and that is admit their mistakes and work to actively fix them and improve. A lot of people commit mistakes and do bad things, but almost none actually take responsability for it. It would have been easier for you to blame someone else or deny it completely and moved on, but you didnt, you couldnt live with the fact that you did a grave mistake so you are working hard to fix it before moving on, that just shows me that you are a good person at heart. You are doing a good job and something admirable! I am willing to also help you go through this!
Izumi: W-why?
Mirio: I want to save peole! Saving people doesnt mean just punching around, it also means helping people with their issues and helping them see the light of hope! I beleive there is good in everyone! So everyone deserves help so they can have a happy life!
Izumi: Thanks... Looks like I have a lot to learn from you.