Capitulo 17

Lennox POV

Lennox POV

I just got out of the shower and my phone has been buzzing non-stop. Isn't the whole point of putting your phone on silent, that it's supposed to be silent? The agonizing sound of it vibrating against the marble counter is driving me nothing short of insane. The incessant noise coming from my phone was partially due to a slew of Instagram notifications, coupled with two missed calls from Mr. De Loughrey surprisingly enough.

Squinting down at my phone, I hesitantly hit the callback button. "Niall? Is something wrong?"

"Depends on how you look at it. You and Beckham are going to be on the August issue of Vanity Fair to officially announce your relationship. They were fighting over the exclusive with Essence, which was unexpected... Well, I guess not unexpected." Niall pauses awkwardly clearing his throat. "Anyways, Vanity Fair has larger reach. So they're doing a whole piece on the two of you. It'll be great PR, counterattack all that negative press."

I blinked pulling the phone away from my ear momentarily.

Negative press?

A Vanity Fair shoot?

I know my relationship with Beckham is based on the guise of maintaining appearance. Still, I was not expecting so much... I'm just a girl trying to become a doctor after all, and escorting operated under complete and utter discretion. This is the polar opposite of that.

"Umm... I don't mean to be rude, but isn't that a lot. With everything that's been going on. I would feel so much more comfortable doing something like this after the dust has settled." I shifted uncomfortably, not quite sure how to refer to what happened. I do not want to be over-dramatic when I speak of it, but I'm also not quite sure what to call it.

"Beckham didn't tell you. That kid, still as irresponsible as ever. Lennox, there's no easy way to say this but everything with Johnson. It's done, it's over. He resigned from the force and because he chose to do that the DA has decided not to press charges." I took a seat on the edge of the bathroom counter as I tried to process his words.

"If he resigned he can just go work in another department."

"I know, it's so very unfortunate. But we both know these things happen. My lawyers are more than happy to file a suit—"

"—No. No lawsuit. It's over like you said, it's best that everyone just move on now. So tell me more about this Vanity Fair issue."

I honestly stopped listening though Niall continued talking. It was as though the world has stopped entirely. It's over, just like that. I can't believe Beckham knew. That's obviously what this bullshit trip was about, it was just an elaborate distraction to help compensate for all the guilt he's feeling.
I let out a shaky breath trying to compose myself. Despite how all of this came about and despite how all of it turned out, it's over now and that's what important.