5: ☆ the sorting ☆

Ruby and I stood up as soon as we felt the train come to a slow stop. We had already changed into our robes which lacked color since we hadn't been sorted into a house yet. As we climbed off the train I could tell Ruby was nervous for the sorting, and although I was too I put on a brave face for her.

"It's really no big deal," I told her while placing an arm around her, "all the houses in Ilvermorny got along fine and I'm sure that's the same thing here." I felt her start to breathe calmer until Ron came up behind us.

Clearly he eavesdropped, "Yeah all the houses here are good but only the foul gits get sorted into slytherin," I watched Hermione hit him hard with the book she was carrying, "What it's true! Name one decent slytherin student,"

I gulped as I realized how uneasy Ron's comment made me when a black haired boy with glasses came up to us.

"I'm sure you'll be fine in whatever house you end up in but if it really matters that much to you you can always tell the sorting hat your preference" he explained which made me feel better. On second glance I realized that this boy in front of me was Harry Potter but I remembered the advice Hermione gave me at Diagonal Alley.

"Well thank you I appreciate it. My name is Violet Pine and this is my younger sister Ruby Pine, we're both transfers from America," I greeted while Ruby gave him her cute crooked smile.

He smiled back at us, "I'm Harry, good luck at the sorting," he said as the three of them bid us goodbye. I took Ruby's hand as we followed the line of first years all clumped together.

"Well don't just stand there all day, climb into the boats!" a loud deep voice exclaimed and when I turned my head my mouth gaped open.

The man was clearly several feet taller than me and he had bushy hair surrounding the entirety of his face.

"Well hello there you two must be the transfer sisters. Good ole Dumbledore told me about you two," the giant said with a large smile as he walked over to us.

I was the first to say something since my sister was still awestruck, "Lovely to meet you mister, thank you for taking us across the lake."

"Oh no need to thank me Miss Pine! The pleasures all mine. Now I suggest you two climb aboard your own boat, we're about to set off."

I grumbled as my booties sank in the wet mud leading to the lake. Ruby giggled at me constantly tripping over my own feet while I just took a puddle of water and splashed her with it.

"Don't mess up my hair Violet!" she yelled once we were in the boat trying to splash water back at me. I simply shook my head and took in the surroundings around me. Since the sky was starting to set it was getting darker and the stars shined brighter than ever before. Ilvermorne was a wonderful school and I'll always regarded it as my first home, but it surely didn't amount to anywhere close as Hogwarts did. The castle shone with shimmering lights getting brighter as the boats got closer.

"Which house do you want to be in," Ruby whispered over to me so no one else could overhear their conversation. I took a second to think about it since all I knew about the houses was what I read in Hogwarts: A History.

"I think i'd like either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. You?"

"Same" she replied before the boats came to a stop. An older woman in stunning green robes greeted them while holding a large piece of parchment.

"Welcome first years and transfer student to Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. My name is Professor McGonagall and I expect you all to be on your best behavior for the remainder of your years at this school. You will refer to all teachers as professors and follow your timetable as your schedule for the year. These will be presented to you tomorrow morning at breakfast. Any questions?" No one raised their hand and she smiled triumphantly and led them up the stairs.