20: ☆ christmas day ☆

Christmas day approached quickly since my mind was preoccupied with the stress of exams. Hermione, Neville, and I were constantly in the library checking out book after book.

After exams finished you could feel the excitement in the castle rise as Christmas day got closer. This would be the first time Ruby and I spent the holidays with friends instead of our grandparents so it was a special time.

I woke up that morning with a huge smile on my face knowing that the whole day would consist of fun activities. I was to first meet Ruby at dads office so we could have a Christmas breakfast together. Then I would come back to the common room and open presents with everyone else who stayed over break. Finally would be the Yule ball which started at 8:00pm sharp!

I changed into a comfortable pair of white jeans and a red oversized sweater. I kept from braiding my hair since I wanted to keep it natural so that doing an updo for the dance would be easier. The presents I had for dad and Ruby were hidden under my bed, so I grabbed them and rushed to his office before my other dorm mates woke up. I could hear the faint sound of Christmas music and a girl singing as I approached the door to his office.

"Yay Violet! Merry Christmas!" Ruby cheered while giving me a huge hug.

"Merry Christmas honey," dad said and he gave me a kiss on the forehead, "shall we dig in?" he asked as the breakfast plates in front of us were full. I took a large bite of a sausage link and groaned.

"These are amazing!" I sang.

Once we had finished our meal Ruby was eager to open presents.

"Okay time to exchange!" she exclaimed and we each pulled our boxes out. I handed mine to Ruby first and she opened it with a gasp. In the box I created a cute little rose gold theme of goodies. Not only were her favorite American chocolates piled inside, but I got her a light rose colored sweater, a gold makeup pallete that consisted of different face powders, and a white teddy bear that was charmed with our voices once you squeezed it. She also got a ton of sweets from dad and another box that looked like the one I got when he gave me the dress. When she peeled the top off I laughed at what was inside. My dad had also purchased her a light pink ball gown that was large and poofy.

"Now, since I'm a professor here I pulled a few strings and I would be honored to be your date to the ball Ruby if you'll let me," he smiled softly at my sister. I covered my ears as Ruby began to scream 'thank you thank you' over and over. I was excited for my sister to go knowing she'd have the best time dancing with my dad and catching up with Ginny.

I already knew that majority of my gift had been the dress he had delivered the other day during dinner, but I smiled nonetheless at the box with a charmed ring. It had a beautiful little broom engraved in the center with the number of my old jersey back in Ilvermorny. Ruby had given me the set of gloves I was staring at when we had gone to Diagon Alley for the first time, and I was excited to practice their grip.

I got my dad a grading quill that was charmed with a content grading spell. He would have to write on the parchment keywords that he wanted in the essay students turned in and the quill would automatically highlight them. Ruby got him a label maker that would magically separate his papers so he didn't need to cram them into his binder like he normally does.

"Thank you guys for the presents," I said sincerely.

I was incredibly happy with the way the morning went and was glad that I got to spend a chunk of Christmas with my dad and Ruby. After we said goodbye and I assured I would save a dance for them at the ball, I walked back to the common room.

Everyone was wide awake by the time I got there and I was met with the strangling hug of Anastasia.
"Merry Christmas," she screamed in my ear jumping up and down. I laughed at her craziness and made brief eye contact with Fred as I walked with her through the door. Quickly looking away, I sat next to Ginny and admired all the presents everyone got. I was overwhelmed with all the gifts I opened and I had already made sure last night to put everyone else's under the tree marked with their name. Even though I was still mad at Fred, I had already gotten the twins a firework kit before everything happened so I decided to still give it to them as a group gift.