14: ☆ first task ☆

I woke up the morning of the first task with a bundle of nerves sitting in my stomach. I rubbed my eyes trying to awaken them as I recalled spending the entirety of last night trying to practice the summoning charm with Harry and Hermione.

"Harry you're not concentrating enough!" Hermione shouted, "I've told you. You have to remove everything from your mind when you focus on the object you're trying to summon!"

"We've been practicing for hours. If I could only just rest," Harry protested before I jumped in.

"Harry I doubt the dragon you're facing is going to take rest breaks while trying to fry your face off," I stood up holding the book in my hand again from across the classroom, "try again."

This time Harry had a more determined look on his face and he bellowed his voice.

"Accio book," and I felt the book I was holding be pulled from my grasp and fly straight into Harry's arms. We all laughed in surprised while I clapped loudly.

"Yes Harry you did it!" The celebration only lasted a minute while we realized that although he was able to summon a book in the same room as him, would he be able to do the same in the arena.

"Yeah now I just have to do that from a couple hundred yards away," he gulped.

I saw Hermione's bed was empty so I assumed she had woken up early to drag Harry back to the library.

"Happy first task day!" Anastasia sang as she ripped my curtains open. Normally it would take me a while to roll out of bed but I immediately sat up and headed to the bathroom, "Did you guys see that? That was the fastest I've ever seen her get up," Anastasia commented to our other dorm mates as I closed the door behind me.

I looked at myself in the mirror seeing the dark circles encase my eyes. My hair was poofy and tangled as I left it in my braid all night. Feeling unsatisfied with my appearance, I did my usual routine but decided to do my hair in a nice high ponytail. After putting some of my concealment powder on my red cheeks I left the bathroom to meet everyone in the common room. Ron, Anastasia, Ginny, and Dean were sitting on the couch talking.

"Ready?" I asked while zipping up my jacket. It was very cold outside and I was not looking forward to my ears freezing in the stadium. Ginny hooked her arm through mine as we made our way through the castle and down the hill, "What do you reckon the first task will be?" I wondered out loud as we approached the tents.

"Don't know. Maybe an obstacle course where you try to get past the dragon," Ginny shrugged.

"Or maybe you have to find a way to mount it," a voice said from my left as I saw Fred approach us with George trailing from behind.

"Don't be daft," I scoffed, "There's no way Professor Dumbledore would let students ride a dragon when we can't even fly around the castle unsupervised."

"Ah don't underestimate good ole Dumbledore. He appreciates a good joke or two," George retorted.

"And what are those?" I asked eyeing the boxes they were holding in each hand.

"They're for bets of course" Fred said in a voice like I should have known.

"Bets?" I exclaimed while I stopped walking, "For the tournament that your friend Harry could possibly get hurt in!" The twins looked at each other before answering.

"That's the one," they said at the same time while opening their boxes.

"Don't be so mean," Ginny scolded as she pulled my arm away from them. We walked on the remainder of the path as we could hear Fred and George from behind us yelling different things trying to get participants to gamble.