8: ☆ rival schools ☆

About a month had gone by since the first night Ruby and I were sorted into our houses. Between studying for all my new classes, making time to visit dad, and making sure to practice Quidditch, I was beginning to feel quite overwhelmed. Not to mention that Fred and George were coming up with fabulous new pranks and I never found the time to participate in them only plan them in the common room during the late hours of the night.

I was over the moon to see how well I got along with most of the people in my house. A lot of my time was spent with either Hermione, Ginny, or Anastasia as they were easier to get close to and we all lived in the girls dorm. After the first few weeks I saw Harry and Ron start to open up to me more, and include me on a couple of the 'famous trio's conversation.' I often was in the library though studying with Dean and Neville, as we all had the same schedule and the boys needed all the help they could get from me.

Of course I couldn't forget about my favorite friends I made here which were Fred and George. Although I would never tell them that, and boost their ego even further, they made Hogwarts feel truly like home for me. I found myself going to bed a lot later than my other housemates as I was too busy giggling at their never ending jokes.

Ever since the day that Dad told us he was an auror, I made it my secret goal to pursue the same career. After searching in the library with Ginny, I found a book on Auror training and expectations. I would need to receive top marks in my exams, which apparently were called O.W.L's here? In America they were just called exams or finals so the name gave me even more stress.

"I don't know what you're stressing out about Violet, our O.W.L's aren't even until next year!" Ron exclaimed while I was furiously rewriting my astrology map as I had fallen asleep mid writing one of the stars pathways.

"I personally think it's quite smart of Violet to get ahead of studying and start preparing for her future now. It's what most successful students do," Hermione said with a huff as I shook my head at her.

She really thought she had influenced me to study more, work harder, and be 'more like her'. But really I just wanted to live up to my dads career and I had a gut feeling that my mom had the same job.

"Well I'm just excited for the distraction of the rival schools arriving tonight," Dean mentioned while gazing at my astrology map to make sure he had the same thing written. At that comment my head jerked up.

"They come today? Oh I've totally forgotten!" I squealed and put my parchment back in my bag. I suddenly felt the stress slip away from me as I was reminded of the great feast we would have tonight and new guests.

"Oí we weren't finished copying it," Dean said while I looked at his, Ron, and Harry's sheepish faces.

"That's why you do your own work," Hermione lectured before turning her attention back to her quill.

"I'll give it to you in the common room," I whispered to Harry, careful Hermione didn't hear as he grinned at me.

Anastasia then came running over to us a short moment later out of breath, "They'll be here in the next 20 minutes, Dumbledore announced for the school to meet in the courtyard," she explained with big pauses and breaths. I grabbed Hermione and Ginny's hands while sprinting over to the courtyard. I heard the boys yell for us to wait up but I was too excited to see the schools arrivals to stop. Ever since I transferred I realized there was a whole new world here that I was unaware of. It was super exciting to see that there was not only one more but two more schools I had no idea of.

"Violet!" a girl's voice yelled as I saw my sister running towards me, "am I too late did I miss it?" she asked looking around frantically. We all laughed at her as we shook her heads. Ruby stood directly in front of me as the girls were on the other side of me. Since Harry and Ron were taller they stood behind us as the courtyard came to a complete silence.