5: ☆ preparations ☆

I woke up the next morning in the comfort of a bed and soft linen sheets. A pillow was placed firmly under my head and I looked up trying to see where I was.

Last I remember I had fallen asleep in a random bedroom, but I was currently in bed, sharing the already small room with Ginny, Ruby, and Hermione. Ruby was sharing a bed with me, her hair sprawled out on the white bedspread, her mouth slightly agape.

I looked at her and admired the features she had grown to develop over the years. Her skin was clear of any blemishes, light arrangements of freckles underneath both of her eyes. The hair that I was so used to seeing pulled up and to double braids, now engulfed her face in random wavy curls.

Since we got to Hogwarts I could easily notice the change that occurred within Ruby. Although bold at heart, she contained herself inside of this timid shell, only coming out if it for people close to her. It was a beautiful thing to see the way magic brought her not only more confidence, but a better environment that she felt like she finally fit in.

I knew this time at the Burrow would likely be the last time I saw her before all of this was over. She resisted dad for all of summer, insisting her return back to Hogwarts was necessary. I mean going into hiding would only make her and my dad even more suspicious, for when people started coming after me.

"Staring at my beauty?" Ruby asked and I looked back at her face to see that her eyes were pealed open and staring back at me.

"You wish," I scoffed, "just thinking about how grateful I was not to inherit dads mane of a hair like you did." She just laughed at my comment and shook her head, knowing that's not what I thought at all.

"You've always sucked at lying you know."

"How so?" I asked and proped my head up on my elbow.

"Your head always turns to the left slightly," she giggled and pointed at me, "it's your biggest tell."

"Does not!" I argued and hit her with the spare pillow on the bed.

"Hey! Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just telling you the truth," she defended but a smile was on both of our faces, enjoying one of the first calming times we had this summer.

"I don't know how you're going back to Hogwarts," I told her and lay back onto my pillow, averting my gaze to the ceiling, "I mean really knowing that Snape is headmaster and that the Carrows are professors—I don't know how anyone is going back."

"Same reason you and your friends are planning on leaving," Ruby shrugged her shoulders into mine.

"How do you know about that?"

"I'm your sister dummy," I could practically feel her roll her eyes, "of course I knew you were planning something. That and I might've read one of your letters—"

"Hey that's private!" I interrupted and turned to her.

"Can't blame me for being curious," she explained and we spent a couple seconds just sitting in silence, absorbing everything around us and the peaceful conversation we were having, "when do you think this will be over?" Ruby asked finally.

"I don't know," I answered truthfully, "I'm hoping by the end of the year, but you never know."

"Alright then let's make a plan," she smirked and made her body fully face me, "once this is all over you and I are going to get our own place."

"Yeah right," I scoffed, " I don't know if you've noticed but we don't exactly get along super well under the same roof."

"We used to," she sighed, "remember those pizza pies we would beg dad to let us make—"