2: ☆ back home ☆

The sun poked through the crack of my blinds, and left a stripe of light on my arm. The dream I was currently having, slowly drifted away from me and from existence. Like a distant memory I could feel the details slip from my mind. The heat from my window pierced my skin and stirred my body awake. I kept my eyes shut, hoping that I could fall back asleep to the enchanting memory I was having in my sleep.

My families cat, Snow, jumped on the bed and snuggled into the spot of my pillow that was unoccupied. His tail wiggled in front of my nose and I waved my hand up to try to get him away. With no avail, he cuddled even closer to me and I groaned knowing I would now have to get up.

I sat up in my bed and observed my room around me so my eyes could get adjusted to the light of the morning. The bed beside me that normally had my little sister Ruby sleeping in, was empty and the ends of the bed were folded nicely.

I gave a light smile when I set my gaze on the tiny stuffed animal she always carried around as a child. The elephant perched happily in the center of her bed, the long nose covered in specks of dirt and loose threads from how much she used it.

Ruby had left just two days ago to go to her friends house for the last two weeks of summer. His name was Thomas and he was also in the same house as her, Ravenclaw.

The entirety of our summer was spent in our old house in America with a much needed break from reality. After the events of last year where Voldemort made his threat to Harry and I clear, Dad thought it was best we spend some time away. This was unlike last year, where I was kept prisoner to my own home; this time I actually wanted to spend some time away for myself.

Seeing Voldemort live and in the flesh only brought to life the severity of the upcoming war we would all have to fight. I decided that I needed to take the proper time away to train and expand my powers. Being able to save Sirius at the ministry was pure luck, and I couldn't let that happen again. I needed it to be more than just a blessing in disguise, but for it to be purposeful and easier to figure out.

That's why dad, Ruby, and I made the decision to come back to America where 'you know who' was rumored to be staying clear of, and looked to work on my Seer strength. Dumbledore gave my dad every last book he had from the library that contained information on Seers. They were all extremely helpful guides that taught me how to open my mind and crawl into someone else.

Before, I would have to concentrate extremely hard to predict the action of someone else, but now it took last work. Over the summer I had managed to click the frontal part of my brain with my subconscious and it seemed to permanently stick. I walked around with a newfound sense of life, being able to squint my eyes and anticipate someone's next move.

I couldn't read someone's mind it wasn't like that. If I wanted to find out what the person was feeling emotionally, it would be impossible for me to figure out. But once someone made a definitive decision in their head and I was concentrating, I could hear exactly what they thought.

It came in handy over the summer when I practiced with dad. We had come up with a training exercise that we would do each morning along with Ruby. She would sit in the armchair and hold two different objects in the air. It could be a book, a fork, a shoe, anything; but he would work on pushing me out of his mind and I would have to break through the barrier he had placed and locate the decision, of which object he would accio.

I was fairly pleased with myself and took joy in stealing from the cabinet whatever Ruby had decided to eat for breakfast that day. Most mornings ended with her screaming for my dad, and be running out of the kitchen giggling and trying to hide.

I had spent almost everyday trying to read my mother's notepad that appeared in my pocket the night of the ministry. I had told no one about it since I was afraid whatever information on it was critical. The only legible writing on the pages were 'Beware ARY' which I still had no idea if that was a shortened version of a spell, a place, an object