32: ☆ departure ☆

I sat down in the chair of my desk scribbling down whatever came to mind. I was in the room for History of Magic taking my final OWL exam of the week. This was easily my worst subject but I had spent the last few days studying as hard as possible. Currently, I was in the writing section of the exam and the topic was Law.

What's the most important law in the wizarding world?

I hurriedly wrote before all my ideas down before they left my head. The answer to that was easy, the most important being the International Statute of Secrecy. I shut my eyes and tried to remember the year that this law was passed and grinned when I remembered 1692.

'This law was passed by the International Confederation of Wizards in 1692. This statute directs that the Wizarding World be kept secret from the non-magical community (Muggles) and most other laws in the Wizarding World stem from this statute.'

Cool first short answer done.

Describe the The Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery.

I knew about this one from hearing about the behind the scenes within Harry's trial last year. Forcing myself to dig deep, I recalled the important terms and dates regarding this law.

'The Decree written in 1875 is enforced by the Improper Use of Magic Office in the Ministry of Magic. The restriction is for wizards and witches who are under the age of seventeen, upon which The Trace still operates. The Trace is a charm that works in a way where whenever any magical activity is performed in the vicinity of the underage individual, the Improper Use of Magic Office within the Ministry of Magic is alerted to the spell that was used, the location of the caster, and the time it was cast.'

Alright next question.

In 1845 what wizarding law severed ties between goblins and wizards?

I bit down on my lip and tried to scavenge my brain for any information. It could be the law that enforced only wizards on the Wizengamot to serve as the Supreme Court of Britain. But that law was created in early 1700's, which didn't fit the timeline of the question—

A yell from behind me distracted me from my flow of thoughts, and I snapped my head around. Hermione, who was next to me, turned around just as quickly, and we saw Harry passed out on the ground beside his desk.

"Harry!" Ron exclaimed from beside him and got out of his desk to try shaking him.

"Back to your exams!" Professor Tofty demanded, "I will handle this!" Harry didn't meet any of our eyes when he woke up a second later and clutched his head.

"His scar," Hermione whispered over to me. His scare only hurt when there was danger present or he was seeing into Voldemort's mind. Since he was having his Occlumency lessons, I assumed it had to be the first option.

"Potter always looking for attention," Draco snarled loudly for everyone to hear.

"Hey how about I beat your ass," I spat at him, "maybe then you'll get the attention you so desperately crave."

"No talking!" Professor Tofty came back and waved his wand to force our bodies to turn forward. I only had two more short response questions left, but I could hardly think as to what the answers could be. My head began to fill with dread and I wondered what had happened to Harry. I had no headache, and no sense of fear, so I knew that there was no actual potential threat.

I rushed my answer for the last two law descriptions and turned it in to the Professor right away. Hermione finished at the same time as me, and we waited outside for Ron to complete his.