17: ☆ christmas party ☆

"Not only did I fail at getting the memory but I'm pretty sure he's suspicious of me now," Harry grumbled. It was now a winter Saturday and the day of Slugorn's dinner. Harry had attempted after class last week to retrieve the memory and was clearly unsucccesful.

"Well did you straight up ask him or?" I questioned.

"No I didn't but I used the same conversation Tom Riddle used when asking him about something," Harry shrugged.

"And it was about a forbidden piece of magic?" Hermione shook her head, "I can look into it in the library but I'm sure there would be no record of it if Dumbledore was that fearful."

"You're right. We can just try again tonight. Maybe some champagne will make Slughorn slip up," I patted his shoulder in encouragement, "I'm going to go get ready and we'll have another attempt at it yeah?" Harry nodded so Hermione and I left to go get ready.

It wasn't as grand an event as the Yule ball was a couple years ago, so it took us a significantly shorter amount of time to get ready.

Since it was Christmas themed, I settled for a white dress and Hermione picked a light pink one. Both of our hair fell naturally on our shoulder, with a small potion that would keep it from fizzing.

About an hour later we walked down the steps, fully ready to go.

"I can't believe you still haven't told me who you're going with," I frowned at her slightly, "I mean as long as it's not Aiden I won't be bothered."

"No of course it's not him," Hermione's nose crinkled up, "but...i'm just hoping the night will go by quick."

I huffed when I saw she wasn't going to tell me who she was bringing. Either way I racked my brain and couldn't think of her choosing anybody that bad.

"Well i'm going to go meet my date," Hermione said sadly and went off in the opposite direction once we left the painting.

"Shall we," I shrugged and turned my arm to Harry, who had been waiting outside for us. I hooked mine on his and we made our way to Slughorn's office.

"I saw you talking to Draco the other day in class," Harry said and I could hear the suspicion in his voice, "what was that about?"

"Aren't we trying to find more out about him?" I defended, "besides I learned you were right, he is on some sort of mission. I don't know whose orders he's acting on or why, but they aren't his own."

"Isn't it obvious? He's a death eater," Harry stated matter of factly.

"Those are serious claims! Be careful who you tell them to," I lectured.

"You and I both know that's the truth. I've asked Dobby and Kreacher to follow him so we can find out where he's going."

"You've involved house elf's?" My face held an expression of pure shock.

"How else was I supposed to follow him when he sneaks out at curfew? I'm not exactly a prefect who can wander the halls."

I debated telling him to stop his hunt because I had a feeling if we found out what his mission was, bad things would happen. But I kept my mouth shut and walked through the doors into the party that was happening full swing.

Slughorn had charmed his office to not only increase in size but to have magnificent twinkle lights littered all across the ceiling. There were tons of people, especially adults, sipping on some drinks and socializing with each other.

"Wow," I said marveled and watched everyone laugh whilst holding grand champagne glasses, as well as people in white uniform passing around trays of food.