19: ☆ m&ms ☆

After the attack on the Burrow I went back home with my dad and Ruby to the house he was staying at this year. The Weasleys needed to have time on their own to rebuild their house and be with their own family . Fred and I had sadly said goodbye that night of the fire, with him promising he would see me at my next Quidditch game.

My dad and I spent the last couple of days on edge, hoping that we wouldn't be attacked next. The holidays ended bittersweetly and I said my goodbye to my family, before heading back to Hogwarts.

It was our first day back from break and I was currently trying to follow the instructions in my textbook.

"I'm going to try again today," Harry said in a determined voice when we were in Potions class while I was mixing my lacewing flies into my cauldron.

"Try what?" I asked absentmindedly, focusing more on my stirring than the conversation.

"To get the memory. Dumbledore showed me something else," he said quietly keeping his voice hushed. We were the only people at our table of four so we could avoid the risk of being overheard.

"And?" Ron pushed.

"Apparently Slughorn told Tom the name of a dark piece of magic. Dumbledore believes that this is his secret, why he's been able to live so long," Harry explained.

"What like a long lasting potion?" I questioned.

"No it's a type of magic. I don't think it had anything to do with potions really," he said and we ceased conversation when Slughorn came over to see the progress of our potion.

After class we left Harry alone so he could once again try to get the memory. If he was lucky he'd get what he wanted but to me it just seemed like the wrong time and place to ask.

I attended the remainder of my classes for the day, having Aiden as partner for our assignment. I was surprised to see how pleasant his company was; I could tell he was trying harder to be nice to me which meant a lot. I internally cheered when I successfully transfigured my him into an object.

Human to object transfiguration was one of the most difficult, so along with an applaud from the class I was excused from the homework assigned that night.

"Thank Merlin I'm not a sparkly pink lamp forever," Aiden said, rubbing his head.

"Hey cmon you were a beautiful lamp! A sight better than your current state," I teased.

"Thanks. Real kind of you," he rolled his eyes, "see you next class," he waved and walked off.

"If stupid Millicent didn't have such chubby fingers i'm sure they wouldn't have stuck out of the lamp," Hermione grumbled annoyed.

"Come on you're grade isn't going to suffer from one class period," I laughed at her and then saw Neville was by us.

"Hi Violet! Hermione!" He smiled and caught up to Seamus who was slightly in front of us. I all of a sudden remembered the advice Neville gave me at Slughorn's Christmas party.

"Hey Hermione do you know what méreg means?" I questioned.

"Yes," she answered. Of course she knew, "it's the Hungarian word for poison."

"Well Neville told me I should get a méreg detector after the incident in the broomsticks," I told her lowly, "do you think I should?"

"It was just a really unfortunate accident Violet I don't think it's something to worry about," she reassured.

We were now on our way to dinner and we talked about class since she had been successful with everything but the hands of Millicent, making her lamp look very odd with two floating fingers.