Part Sixteen

"I know."

Days of the same went by. Avi would call me and we would talk a little before sitting and listening to the acoustics of each other's rooms. He was humming some song I'd never heard of.

"Avi?"

He continued to hum out this beautiful melody until he started forming actual words.

"...I will not ask you where you came from,
I will not ask you and neither should you.
Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips
We should just kiss like real people do..."

He continued to sing this mellifluous song. It was perfect. I started humming a harmony above it, but Avi had stopped singing it at some point.

"What are you doing?"

"It was harmony!"

He laughed a little and picked up his phone.

"It's Like Real People Do by Hozier."

"It's nice. It really fits your voice."

"It would sound better if you sang it."

This is how Scott always ended up singing lead. He somehow seemed to be the only one in this group that would say he was good at singing something. The rest of us would just pass it around nervously in an irritating game of song hot potato.

"Well, if you think so, teach it to me."

"Fine."

He sent me a link to the lyrics and taught me the melody and before long we were singing the beautiful song in unison. It sounded so nice, our voices together.

"Come over."

"On my way."

We sat on the couch and basically arranged the song with Avi's guitar. It was a beautiful duet. It started with Avi singing the monotone bass line and me humming out the sweet melody that formed the intro of the song. Avi continued this bass line into the first verse, where I took the lead and he added his guitar beneath me on the same melody.

"Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips,
We should just kiss like real people do..."

Avi stopped strumming and singing. I chanced looking over at him only for his lips to meet mine. He'd never had this much passion before. He basically pushed me down. I had to pull away.

"I... I'm sorry," he stammered. He adjusted his beanie on his head and sat back against the couch, sitting his guitar down next to him.

"What was that?"

"I don't know."