Part 43

"I hate you."

We both laughed and turned to look at the streets as they slowly began to populate. More people came into the restaurant and ended our quiet sitting. Samantha returned with our food, delicately placing the plates on the table and pulling two ranch cups out of her pocket.

"Here you are! Do you need anything else?"

"More water please!"

She glared at me and smiled at Avi before turning to walk away without another word. Rude. I watched Samantha run around a little. She was a very fast and efficient worker, even if she was flirting with every dad in the place. I saw Rachael enter the restaurant from across the sea of people and felt my stomach sink into my feet. I quickly turned away and hoped she wouldn't see us in the crowd.

"What's the matter, Kitten?"

"What? Nothing!" I smiled at him and stuffed a fork of salad into my mouth. I'd forgotten how unsexy salad was to eat. Oh well. He's seen me naked. What's done is done.  Avi raised one of his manly eyebrows at me and continued to eat his wrap.

"Oh my gosh! Avi?"

I shut my eyes and hoped to wake up in my room still wrapped in Avi's arms. I tried to wake myself up from the nightmare that was about to start, but unfortunately, I was awake. Avi looked up at her and smiled quickly before looking down and continuing to eat his food. He seemed to shrink a little. He looked... scared?

"How've you been? I see you're out with... Mitch, right?"

"Yeah."

Avi hadn't said a word since she stepped up to us. He focused on eating his wrap, only pausing to get drinks of water from his glass.

"May I join you?"

"I'm sorry. Avi doesn't look like he'd enjoy-"

"He can speak for himself," she snapped. "Right, Avi?"

He stuffed more food into his mouth and avoided her entirely. He very lightly kicked my calf and looked deep into my eyes. He was very scared. I needed to do something.

"Okay, you need to go, Rachael."

"Excuse me? Who are you to tell me-"

"I'm his boyfriend. You're making us uncomfortable and I'd appreciate it if you left us alone."

"You're... his..." She began to laugh, gripping the edge of the table for support. "You're joking right? He's about as straight as they come." She wiped a tear. "You're lying," she deadpanned. "Tell him he's lying, Avi."

"He's not your fucking toy!"

"Save me."