Part 27

"Fine."

"Fine."

I rolled my eyes and crossed my ankles. Avi was next to me, both of us looking up at the TV. We were lounging across the couch in the living room. Scott had locked himself in his room arranging something for the album. Avi offered his services, but he said he didn't want our lovey-dovey-shit near his song writing process. Avi's arm fell across me. I went to move it, but he'd fallen asleep. He was propped up on his elbow against the arm of the couch on his side, giving me enough room to lay down in front of him on my back. I had my knees bent and my feet were being kept warm by Avi's inner thighs. He slept until I was about halfway through a pizza. I'd started humming Like Real People Do, which was making Avi smile in his sleep. I started singing the lyrics and watched his stupid sleep smile.

"Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips,

We should just kiss like real people do."

"Okay."

"What?"

He laughed and opened his eyes. "You didn't offer me any pizza, Kitten."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I'd become your mother."

"I don't have an oedipus complex."

"I will punch your face!"

He laughed and kissed the top of my head. Scott came in then with Esther.

"Boy? Mitch?"

"Esther!"

"Hey, Woman."

She looked between us and we realized something important. We hadn't told our families. Avi leapt from behind me and pulled Esther back out into the hallway. Scott and I had our ears pressed to  the door.

"What was that?"

"Well... Woman... Mitch and I are... dating."

"What?"

"Yeah."

"You're straight!"

"I'm bi! I hate you people."

"Why didn't you tell me?!"

"You didn't ask- I'm feeling some kind of Déjà vu."

"Wait... You're really dating Mitch?"

"Yes."

They stood there silently for a while. Scott pulled me away from the door. I sat on the couch and watched Scott walk into the kitchen. Esther and Avi came back in and Avi walked straight to me, pulled me to my feet, and kissed me. Esther gasped and covered her mouth. Avi smiled and looked back at her.

"Mitch, this is my sister, Esther. Woman, this is my boyfriend, Mitch."

"Boyfriend?

"Yes, Kitten."

I couldn't stop smiling. Avi put his arm around my waist and pulled me against his side. Esther folded her arms and smiled back at me.

"Don't break him, Humper."

"I'm offended."

"Is that why you call him humper?" Avi squealed. Esther and I looked at each other and laughed. Avi pulled his hand through his hair.

"You're wearing my beanie."

"I like your hair in your face!"

"It's irritating though."

I pulled the beanie off my head and put it on his, taking the opportunity to quickly kiss him before he readjusted it himself.

"Woman, you're staring."

"You really are dating."

"Yes. Yes, we are."

"I can't believe it."

"I noticed."