Part 20

"I know!"

Avi called me to let me know Kevira was alright. He sounded a little shaky. Was he alright?

"Are you... Are you good?"

He didn't answer. I heard him take a deep breath.

"Avi?"

"Wha- Yes? I'm sorry."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just... a lot going on."

I hadn't realized I started pacing around the living room. I hated when someone close to me was even the slightest bit uncomfortable. I wanted to do something. Anything. Wait, was he crying?

"Avi?"

"Hm?"

"Are you crying?"

"What? No! My nose is running. I think spending a day in your cold ass apartment with no shirt might not have been the best decision."

I relaxed. I was actually shocked I wasn't the first one sick this year. Anguilla. Dammit, I was the first one sick. Scott was belting Bang Bang, again, and dancing in the small space between the couch and the coffee table. Avi laughed at the noise. I rolled my eyes and went into my room.

"Bang, Bang all over you! I know you want it."

I smiled and shook my head at him before closing my door and laying down on my bed with my legs hanging off the edge. I had to make sure Avi was alright, then I would have another living room party with Scott.

"Fuck nugget?"

"Yeah?"

"You sure you're alright?"

He was silent again.

"No. No, I'm not."

We both sat in silence for a moment. I pulled myself up on my bed and leaned back against the wall.

"I mean, I was alright, but I guess my past is haunting me." His voice cracked as he spoke the words. He sounded so unbalanced. My empathy was getting the better of me. "I thought if I thought about something else the crash wouldn't bother me, but..." The light and hollow laugh that blew into my ear was painful. I could physically feel my heart drop. My breathing hitched.

"Fuck nugget?"

"Yeah, Mitchie?"

"I'm sorry."