Part 21.5

*** Welcome back, Deanne. This isn't the same as one of Deanne's half chapters. I just didn't want to make this a new part if it was... well, you'll see. ***

-Avi's Point of View-

"I'm sorry."

I had almost never heard Mitch cry, much less because someone else was upset. The last time I remembered was Dog Days, and everyone was crying anyway.

"Why are you crying?"

"I can hear your pain."

"What?"

What did that even mean? He was saying something to me then, but I couldn't even begin to make out the words. I listened to him escalate into loud, muffled weeping. I felt so isolated. Someone I considered a good friend was crying and I could do nothing but listen over the phone. Okay, Avi. Think. What lead up to this? I was talking about why I was upset and...

"Wait. Are you crying for me? Oh no. Stop that! Don't to that!"

I heard him giggle and sniffle a bit. His laugh made my heart feel lighter. I had to hear more.

"Don't make me leave the house again," I joked. "I'm not feeling cars right now."

"I'd hope not. That would be weird." He cackled. That cackle...

"Oh! You're joking. You're fine."

He laughed for another few seconds or so before we both fell silent. I laid back on my bed and rolled my head to look out the window, my phone balanced on the side of my face. I could hear Mitch's deep and even breaths. He was relaxing. I decided to do some deep breathing exercises since I was in a stable position and I was almost always looking for ways to improve my singing. I could hear Scott belting through Mitch's phone and his occasional laughter when Scott knocked something over from dancing.

Scott fell silent and Mitch took a few deep breaths before singing the intro verse to Find You. His lower register sent chills through my body before he jumped octaves into his beautiful high tones and phrases. He really was a beautiful-little-baby-angel-cherub. I couldn't help but smile at his voice in my ears.

"Make them dance, just like you,

Cause you make me move,

Yeah, you always make me go-"

"I love your voice."

I heard him gasp and had to laugh. The deep breathing had made my voice raspy, like my pre-show meditation.

"Dammit, Fuck nugget!"

I didn't remember accepting the name 'Fuck nugget' but Mitch called me it, so I didn't really mind.

"I'm mad at you."

"Aren't you always?"

"No!"

The only thing better than laughing Mitch, was angry Mitch. He was literally the sassiest person and I loved it. Love?

"Hey, Mitchie?"

"Yeah?"

I did my very best to suppress a laugh.

"What does a nosey pepper do?"

"I swear to god..."

"Get jalapeño business!"

I had never laughed that hard at one of my own jokes, but I knew he was pissed on the other end of the phone.

"I'm hungry."

I could feel him glaring holes into the side of my head.

"I want Chipotle."

"Fuck nugget?"

"Yeah?"

"I wanna hit you so bad right now."

"I know."