Part 65

"Who are you?"

I realized after the words were said, just how harsh I'd said them. He looked away from me and took a deep breath. He looked so angry. "What's the point of me rehearsing if I can't get in a fucking car?"

"You don't curse. Are you okay?"

"No!" He yelled, practically jumping at me. "I'm not. I'm... I'm falling apart at the seams and I have no idea how to stop it." He sat down next to me and massaged his fingers within mine. "I haven't felt anything but anger for a week. I couldn't even tell you I loved you right now without lying."

My heart sunk. I felt short of breath, like someone had kicked me in the chest. I could feel tears rising in my body again.

"I have a thought, dear

However scary..."

"Please don't, Mitch." He pressed his free hand against my mouth and rested his forehead against mine. "The way I'm feeling right now, I couldn't even trust the words coming out of your mouth."

"I will not ask you where you came from"

"Stop."

"I will not ask it neither should yo-"

I felt this heavy stinging in my cheek. I looked up at Avi who had backed away from me and was pacing around himself in the corner of my room with both of his hands over his mouth.

"Mitch, I'm so sorry... I didn't..."

I stood up and left the room. I needed to get something to ice my face. I wrapped a towel around a few ice cubes and pressed it against my cheek, cringing at the slight tinge of pain that shot through to my feet. There was a ringing in my ear that I was able to ignore until just then. I turned around and bumped foreheads with Avi. He scrunched his face and rubbed the spot on his forehead. For a split second he looked like his old self and it relaxed me greatly.

"I'm sorry."

Avi wrapped his arms around my shoulders and tucked his head, pressing his nose into my shoulder blade.

"I need help."