Part 44

"Save me."

Avi whispered the words under his breath.  I didn't exactly know what was going on, but I refused to let this continue.

"Excuse me! Samantha," I called out. Samantha responded immediately. "Take out box for me and the bill please."

"Coming right up!" She bumped shoulders with Rachael as she left, which put a smile on my face. I stood up, towering over Rachael just enough for it to be an advantage.

"Move."

"Make me."

I used my body and pushed her out of the way without putting a hand on her. I sat down in the booth next to Avi, against my better wishes and blocked her from getting to him until Sam returned with our things. I packed up my salad and what was left of Avi's wrap, which wasn't much, and paid the bill with some cash I had in my pocket, leaving a pretty good tip for Sam. I handed Avi the food and stood up, creating a barrier for Avi to stand up behind me and walk past her. I followed behind him, intertwining our fingers and keeping an eye out for Rachael. She didn't follow.

As soon as we turned the corner, Avi hugged me in a similar fashion to when we were in his car after the almost accident. I hated feeling his body shake this way. He wasn't crying this time, but I couldn't be sure how much longer that would last. I needed to get him home, fast.

"Avi. Lets go home. Please?"

He nodded his head and let me lead him to the apartment. I opened the door and it was completely silent. Alex must have taken Scott out somewhere. I closed and locked the door behind me and pulled Avi to my room. We sat down, me with my back against the wall and him curled up next to me. I checked the time. 11 am. Great. We still had 5 hours before PTX rehearsal. I needed to know what was going on.

"Avi? What the hell was all that?"

He shook his head. His face was pressed into my hip, which couldn't be comfortable, but I wasn't going to complain. "Mitch?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't leave."

"I know."