Part 31

"Don't Leave."

Avi had just parked his car in the middle of an intersection after almost hitting some idiot that ran the red light. I looked over to the other car, which swerved to miss us and crashed into a pole. It looked absolutely wrecked. If it weren't for the police cars and everything, I was sure we'd get yelled at for being in the way of the flow of traffic. A police officer came over to us and tapped on my window. I rolled it down slowly, having to lift Avi a little to get my hand free.

"Hello, Officer."

"Is everything alright in here?"

I looked down at Avi, who was basically curled up in my lap and crying puddles into my shirt. 

"It will be soon. He's just a little shaken up. We're fine."

"Alright then. You guys must have God's luck."

"Why's that?"

"If he had hit you, as fast as he was going, both of you would have-"

I started laughing. I knew whatever the officer was about to say, Avi didn't need to hear right now. "Thank you, officer. I'll drive the rest of the way." I sat Avi in my seat and walked around to the driver's side of the car. Avi looked over at me and relaxed. I watched him put his seatbelt on and tightly grip the handle on the inside of his door. I rolled up the window and slowly started driving back towards my apartment.

"Where are we going?"

"Home."

"I still want to take you out!"

"We'll go another day."

"But-"

"Another day."

He sighed and sat silently staring out the window for the entirety of the short drive back to my apartment. He held my hand a little tighter than normal as we walked to the door and refused to let go. I opened the door and Esther sprinted towards Avi, wrapping her arms around his neck. Scott had the news on and I could see the accident that Avi and I were almost in plastered on the screen. Avi's car was turned sideways and a few of the shots showed Avi in his fetal position in the drivers seat.

"Are you okay, Boy? I mean, are you alright?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. A lot better now though."

"What changed? Usually you end up balled up like that for days at a time."

"Mitch saved me."