Part 23

"I can't."

I cried myself to sleep in Scott's arms, when the arms I'd preferred were much hairier. The morning after wasn't much better. Scott left me alone, so I spent most of the morning listening to my phone vibrate against the wall. I thought of answering it, but every time I looked to see who it was, it was Avi. I moved the phone to my bedside table and watched his name flash across my screen over and over again. Scott burst into my room and answered my phone.

"Hey, Avi... No it's Scott... What do you mean you're outside?"

There was a heavy knock on our front door. Scott looked down at me, but I couldn't look him in the eyes. He went to open the door, leaving me alone with my thoughts. A second later, Avi stopped in the doorway. He seemed to deflate in front of me. Did he run here?

"I thought you were hurt. No one was answering their phone, there was a fire in the area... I..." He threw his beanie at me, covering my face. I pulled it off just in time to watch him close my room door.

"A-... Avi?"

He paced for a second before he took two large steps towards me, grabbed the sides of my face, and kissed me with the same passion as when we sang Like Real People Do in the living room. He pulled away and hugged me close. Avi took a few deep breaths and kissed the side of my neck.

"You were dreaming about Rachael last night."

"Was I? That's not what I saw..."

"You said her name!"

I felt tears threaten to roll down my face. Avi looked confused. He looked back to my door. Scott was gone. He hated fights and always went in his room and blasted Beyoncé to give me my privacy. I scooted away from Avi until my back was against my wall. I curled up.

"Mitch... I'm confused..."

He climbed towards me and sat down in front of me with his knees parted so he could get as close as possible.

"You're not... You're not acting are you?"

"Yes, Avi. I'd fake crying, when Scott can't even fucking hear us, for the sake of your joke!"

He just looked at me for a moment, his mouth open and his eyes wide. I pushed his mouth closed and ran my free hand through my hair. I hated the feeling he was giving me. I hated it!

"Go out with me."

"What?"

He smiled and rolled his eyes.

"I said. Go. Out. With. Me."

Now I was the one with my mouth open. What was he talking about? Was he taking pity on me? I couldn't do pity. I was unstable enough on my own.

"You're straight."

"I'm bi!"

"What?!"

He pulled my legs from in front of me and lifted me slightly. I was sitting in Avi Kaplan's lap. Avi Kaplan just told me he was bi. Avi Kaplan...

"Who are you?"

"Avi Kaplan."

"Have you... Why didn't you tell me?!"

"You didn't ask."

I hit him with his beanie. I hit him several times. He laughed and kissed my bare chest lightly. He rested his head against me and hugged me again.

"I... You... Did you... Just... What?"

He laughed. This fucker had the nerve to laugh at my confusion like it wasn't the normal state of being when someone just throws information at you.

"I, Avi Kaplan, am a bisexual. I also happen to have grown fond of a certain tenor in my a cappella group, named Mitch Grassi. So, go out with me."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Don't you start that Fault in Our Stars shit."

"Alright!"

"Fuck nugget."