Part 62

*** Eating Disorder/Depression trigger warning ***

-Avi's Point of View-

"This is my fault."

I stood over a sleeping Mitch. He'd fallen asleep with his back to his room door, waiting for me. I sighed and picked him up, pressing his head into my neck and carefully laying him down in his bed. I had been trying to sleep off my memories since I locked myself in his room, but the careful embrace of sleep had avoided me yet again. I sat next to Mitch, softly petting his head, and my beanie, as he slept. I watched the sunrise cut the shadows of night and press them into the hidden corners of Mitch's room. The bright golden yellow light had filled every unprotected expanse of the room. Mitch stirred a little against my hand before sitting up.

"What are you doing up? When did I get in here? Avi?"

"Didn't sleep. Carried you. Yes, Kitten?"

The despondency in his eyes could slay a man. He wanted to help, to fix me, but I was nothing but a broken toy for some kid to throw away. The turnkey in my back was broken and only half responsive. I was only half functional. I stood up, slowly and walked into the living room. Kirstie was sleeping on the couch and the pot of soup had been put into the fridge. I didn't feel the urge to eat I usually felt. Was I even worth the food? Would eating even fill me up? My stomach growled and I pushed the thought away. Food was top priority. I fixed a few bowls of the tangy soup and ate twice as much as I usually would. Mitch walked out of his room. I handed him a cup of coffee I'd made just a minute before and sulked back into his room, leaving the door open and laying down on his bed for what would feel like a split second of sleep and leave me thoroughly unsatisfied. I just wanted there to be nothing for a while. Just silence. I was tired of the endless symphony of thoughts raging through my brain. I wanted peace and Mitch used to give me that. The sweet release of silence, only interrupted by the shallow breaths he took in his sleep. I couldn't find that with him anymore. I was too far gone.