chapter nine

The entire day spent between the siblings had been probably just what Nova needed

The entire day spent between the siblings had been probably just what Nova needed. Her heart was still heavy but her mind was easing up. She knew within a few hours in spending time with her brother that he knew something. She distinguished it from how he restrained from allowing there to be a single dull moment on their day out.

She revered him on doing so, but also, she was left with thinking about what she'd say If he did ask. So, instead of giving him the chance, when they were both sat outside in the garden, near the white roses—that their mother planted; Nova took her chance.

"Why haven't you asked?"

Scorpius who was playing with one of the roses let out a sigh," I want to, Merlin, I really want to, but since you didn't tell me a thing...I think I understand why you didn't"

"What?" She looked at him baffled at his words, she knew her brother had always been respectful and noble; but this was a totally new meaning of it.

He peered at her and let out a chuckle," Sis, you haven't spoken to Rose either. It was enough to tell me that you don't want people close to him involved"

"You hate it...don't you" Nova asked slowly as she lowered her head

"Hate what?"

She leaned her head on his shoulder and held his arm," That, I also included you as part of people not to talk about it"

"Yeah, of course I hate it" Scorpius huffed leaning his head on her own," And, Merlin forbid, I should be the one you talk to, I'm your brother, Nov, and I'd choose you all the time. But that's the reason you won't tell me, is because you don't need me choosing a side."

"Yeah" She whispered closing her eyes and permitting herself to surrender.

It had been years, since Scorpius heard his sister cry and he did his best not to do the same. It was her moment to let all of her emotions be free. It was her moment, to let all of the things she was building up go.

Their father who was watching them from the top floor had walked away from the window. He wanted to be there with his daughter, but he knew it was not his time.

Nova was a lot like him and walking in unannounced to try and console her is not what she'd want. Just like how his son waited, he too had to do the same and he didn't care how long it took.

He was not going to force his daughter to let down her walls until she was ready. So, he walked away because that was not for him to see.

Scorpius had let his sister's cries fill the air and while he listened to the sounds, he made sure not to say a word. She didn't need it—she just needed her brother to be right there.