Chapter 37 - The Quiet...

Sanem and Can were sitting on the terrace watching the seemingly slow pace of local life. The Park had several lodges situated in different spots around the area that they rented to guests. Theirs was placed on a low hill overlooking the waterhole. Right now they could clearly see the silhouettes of more than a few antelopes, a hippo or two and one of the wild cats. Sanem couldn't tell exactly which one. The animal was lurking in the tall grass.

Can grabbed his camera and turned it towards one of the banks.

– Look over there. – He pointed it out.

– At the birds?

– Yes. There's a leopard sneaking up on them.

Just as he said that, the cat jumped and the whole flock of small birds flew away in a flutter of wings. Sanem couldn't see very well, but they were gray with a black hood and beige chest. She's seen this bird before...

– I think it's the crocodile bird. – She sat up to get a better look, but that didn't really help. – I'd need to see it closer.

Can gave her his camera. He's managed to catch the exact moment when the leopard lunged forward and the birds flew. Sanem smiled.

– Yes, I was right. The Egyptian plover. They're very common here. – She checked another photo and only now noticed the cat actually succeeded. – I thought big cats only hunted big prey? – She gave Can the camera back and grabbed the water. The temperature was hitting over thirty degrees Centigrade and the sun was scorching hot. There wasn't even one small cloud in the sky. Thankfully the humidity was low, otherwise this day would've been really hard.

– They do, but this one is young. I think it's just learning to hunt. – Can checked his cell phone. No messages or unanswered calls but he did get an e-mail. – Hmm...

– What is it?

– Volkan bey send an e-mail.

– The detective? – Can nodded and Sanem waited, but her husband put the cell phone back in his pocket. – Aren't you going to read it?

– Later. It's almost five. Adolor will be here soon. You should probably change.

Sanem looked at her sandals and her green pantsuit. They were comfortable and light, so her skin could breathe.

– What's wrong with this outfit? 

– We're gonna spend a night out there. – He gestured towards the planes. – Surrounded by animals. You think you'd have a chance escaping a lion in those shoes?

Sanem's eyes got big and she opened her mouth in shock. Running from lions was not something she ever considered herself doing. Ever.

– I'm gonna change. – She jumped up from her chair and dived into her luggage. 

– I packed your boots in my bag. Take them. – Can smiled. A moment had passed and he could hear Sanem in their room. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and let his head fall back.

It's been so long since he was enjoying travelling. The last time he actually had fun and felt so free was before he came back to Istanbul for the 40th anniversary of the agency. After that everything went to hell. The year he spend sailing was a nightmare he wished to forget. But now all was as it was supposed to be and even though he'd been to Gdańsk, Paris, London, Casablanca and Benin before, thanks to Sanem it was as if he was seeing them for the very first time again. He couldn't imagine travelling solo ever again. She was the joy that's been missing from his life for a very long time.

His cell phone beeped, reminding him of an unread e-mail but now was not the time.

– Okay, I'm ready. – Sanem came back wearing cotton shorts, boots and tight black tank top. Her hair was neatly gathered in a braid and pinned up, so her neck was completely exposed. Can took her hand and pulled her to sit on his lap. Her scent engulfed him and a satisfied smile appeared on his lips.