Chapter 8 - The Gifts

- Dance with me. - Sanem held out her hand and smiled.

- Only if you promise to ask me to dance every time this song comes up.

- I promise.

They didn't say anything else. Sanem put her head on Can's shoulder and her hand on his heart. They swayed together as Özdemir Erdoǧan's voice filled the air. She felt his heartbeat under the tips of her fingers and smiled. This was her favorite music, the real rhythm of her life. Can gently kissed the top of Sanem's head and inhaled her scent. He'd love to stay like this forever, with his life in his arms, but they wanted to leave today, so it was time to say goodbye to their close ones. As the song ended, he stroke Sanem's hair.

- We need to go, birtanem. - He whispered.

Sanem lifted her head and kissed him on the neck.

- Tamam. But first I have something for you. - She said and took his hand. - Come with me.

Sanem led Can down and round the house. She didn't want to go through her yard in order to avoid getting sidetracked by the guests. She was proud of the surprise she'd prepared. It took a lot of work to make it happen and quite a lot of sneaking around, so Can wouldn't realize. But it seems that while she was focused on making her surprise, he was focused on preparing their wedding.

- Sanem, are we going to your crème nook? - Can asked, when she led him down the stairs. Now the table was empty, except for a few flower pots. - What is it?

- Shush. You'll know in a minute.

To Can's surprise they passed the table and turned left behind the stone wall. There was a dirt path there, one he's never noticed. They both had to bend down a little, to avoid hitting the branches. Apparently this path was not taken very often. A few meters farther Sanem finally stopped and looked at him with a smile. They were standing in front of a stone shed, three times as big as the one in her crème nook. The stones were all white, and the wooden door and shutters were painted a lovely honey color. Roof however was covered by moss and grass. Can smiled when he noticed a huge red bow on the door.

- Surprise! - Sanem exclaimed with a huge smile, holding her fists close to her face like a little kid. She could barely contain her excitement.

- Thank you. - Can smiled. - What is it?

Sanem sighed.

- It's your photograph studio. - She said. - You can develop your photographs here. - She once again took his hand and pulled him towards the entrance. - Come, I'll show you.

When she opened the door, couple of birds flew away from the branch of the nearest tree, chirping like crazy. This part of the farm has been neglected for a few years, so they got used to it being their dominium and weren't too happy about having to share it.

- It was a tool shed, but I remade it. I hope I got everything you'd need, but I don't really know about all this. - She switched on the light and led Can inside. He stepped in and looked around, taking everything in. There were only two windows, both on the same wall as the door. On the left he noticed two sturdy oak cupboards. One of them had a door with a lock, so it would be a good place to keep the chemicals. The second one was open and the shelves were stocked with developing tanks, reels, pitchers, bottles and thermometers. Amongst them there was also a bowl full of film clips. On the right wall he saw several lines hanged up from one side to the other. By the third wall, the one opposite the entrance, stood a long table and on its right side was a sink. - You said you'll show me how to develop photographs, but we never got round to it. - Sanem added. She was getting a little worried. Can was looking around, but he didn't say a word. She finally cracked. - I didn't get the chemicals or the paper and all that. We'll be gone and I thought you can buy it when we come back. You know best what you need and like. - She paused, waiting for his response and when she didn't get it, she added - So? What do you think? Is it OK?