Chapter 40 - Enough Running

Sanem looked around. The airport in Cotonou was not the biggest one she had seen in the last months, but it was full of life nonetheless. The flights were not as frequent here as from the big European airports, so the time that passed between the announcement of another international flight was relatively long. The flight to Istanbul was scheduled for 11:20 pm, which meant they had two hours to kill.

Can returned from the bar with a sandwich and a bottle of water.

– Are you sure you don't want to let your parents know we're coming back? – He asked, taking a seat next to her.

– My mother would not stop calling and texting, asking when we're gonna be there. No, it's better if we just surprise them. – She bit into the sandwich and froze. Much can be said about the airport food, but this thing could hardly be qualified as food. – Can, you look hungry. Here, eat. – She pushed the sandwich into his mouth and snickered, when he bit it and grimaced.

– What the...? This is disgusting. – He spit the bit into his hand and looked around for a trashcan. This was the exact moment Sanem's phone went off.

– It's mom. Video call. – She checked the screen and swiped the green handset icon. – Hi, anne. How are you? How's dad?

– Baby, baba wishes to talk to you. – She spoke loudly. Despite the many times Sanem or Leyla said she didn't have to do that, that they heard her just fine, Mevkibe had this internal conviction that the louder she speaks, the clearer her voice will be.

She gave her phone to Nihat, who smiled at his younger daughter.

– Hello, kuşum. – He raised his voice, so that she heard him better. Nihat, apparently, was from the same school of thought as his wife. The louder you speak, the better they hear you. – How are you?

Baba, how are you feeling? – She ignored his question. Nihat didn't look very well. Since their last video call a couple of weeks ago his skin lost it's healthy glow and he had dark circles under his eyes. This could've been the result of the last health crisis, of course, but Sanem had a nagging feeling that it was something more.

– I'm well. Have to stay in the hospital for a couple more days. I don't know why, I'm fine. But your mother told me if I tried to leave without doctor's approval, she would never speak to me again.

– She's worried. And she has the right. What is it I hear about the secret stash Leyla found?

– Daughter, don't you sometimes hide treats for later?

– I'm not diabetic.

Passangers flying to Istanbul with Turkish Airlines report to your gate. 

The PA system was loud enough for Nihat to hear every word. He didn't understand any of them, but his face turned serious nevertheless.

– Sanem, are you at the airport? Where is Can?

– Here, Nihat bey. Hello.

– Hello, my son. Why are you two at the airport? I hope you're not thinking of coming back because of me?

Sanem and Can looked at each other. Can nodded, letting Sanem know it was her decision what to say. She thought for a moment. Her first instinct was to lie, to say that they were tired and that they missed their family, but... She couldn't. She didn't want to lie anymore.

– Dad, you're in the hospital. We want to be there for you. – Can leaned down and kissed her exposed shoulder. Despite the hour it was still hot enough for a sleeveless top and shorts.

– No. I don't want you here. – Nihat sat up on his bed and looked at Mevkibe. She seemed ecstatic at the prospect of having her daughter home. – I don't want you to finish your trip because of me. Can?