Chapter 58 - Secrets

Sanem sighed and closed the text file. She's been trying to write for the past hour or so, but the words kept evading her. Each sentence she typed seemed worse then the previous one and at some point she lost track of where she was even going with her story.

"Take a break, kız."

- That's the plan. - She murmured and rubbed the nape of her neck the same way Can did. Her husband was in bed right now, getting a well deserved rest after a day of cleaning Canem inside and out - their boat was due for some maintenance - while she was sitting on the mattress on the bow deck. Her tea got cold, pretty much like the toast she had prepared for supper, but that wasn't a tragedy. Toast with strawberry jam was always tasty, even though eating it was messy. She pushed the laptop further away to avoid throwing crumbs all over it. An email notification came up on the screen and she took a quick glance. Leyla. It must've been well after midnight in Istanbul.

- Sis, what are you still doing up? - She clicked on the envelope and started reading.

Hey, Sanem,

I'm sitting in my bedroom, waiting for Emre. He's playing cards with mom - we're staying with parents tonight. Dad went to bed a couple of hours ago and everything's quiet. Too quiet. I tried reading a book, but I can't seem to focus, so I decided to update you with all that's been going on here, since we haven't really spoken in over two weeks. I remember you were in Venezuela then. Where are you two now? Mom and dad hang a map in the kitchen and each time we hear from you, they put a pin in it. I think they saw the one you've had in your bedroom at the farm and decided to copy the idea. It's sweet. Mom brings books from the library or they Google the places you mention to them and they read and check the pictures. Did you know you were on TV on New Year's? Can told Emre you were on Time Square when the ball dropped so he started checking YouTube for videos and there you were, kissing on screen. I don't think dad will ever get used to it, but mom was glad to see you so happy. I think they both worry more than they let on. And they miss you. It would be great if you could video call them more often. I know they'd like to see your faces.

Margit went back home a few days ago. I think we've grown close while she was here. We spoke a lot after her surgery. Turns out she's all alone. Her parents retired and moved to New Zealand and she's running a café / bar in Zürich all on her own. I asked her if she felt lonely but she claims she's not. She doesn't want to have a husband or children. It's so weird to me. Can you imagine, wanting to spend your whole life alone? I think I'd go mad and I think you wouldn't want that either.

Anyway, Deren and Bulut went to Greece for a few days after their wedding. They're back now, cause neither of them wanted to leave work for too long. Fikri Harika has won a new client so we're all neck deep in brainstorming for a new campaign. Well, the creatives are, Emre and I stick to the numbers and those look really good. We're almost back to our glory days - Emre's words, not mine. Anyway, the client is a fashion brand and their budget is three times that of Galina's, so Deren's both really excited and anxious.

And have you spoken to CeyCey lately? Cause there's development there, but I can't tell you anything. He made me promise, cause he wanted to tell you himself.

"Wonder what's that about", Sanem thought, but put it aside for the time being.

And finally, Hüma hanım. Emre decided to visit her a few days ago. She wouldn't see him and yesterday she send a letter, stating that she's angry, feels betrayed and doesn't want to see him until she's released, maybe even longer. Personally I think it's manipulation tactic. My therapist suggested I read a few books and one of them was about dealing with narcissists. It all fits, Sanem. Unfortunately she got to Emre. I keep telling him she's doing it to ruin his peace of mind and that she is facing the consequences of her actions. He nods in agreement but I can see it's bugging him. Then again, she is his mother. I can't imagine having to distance myself from mom, no matter what she did, so I'm really trying not to judge and be patient. I think I'll suggest therapy for him. I know he had a counsellor in rehab and he says it really helped him.