Chapter 55 - Twenty Five

Emre once again looked at the watch. It was nearly half past nine in the morning. The plane landed half an hour ago but still there was no sign of his friend. The hustle and bustle of the airport made his head spin a little. He didn't have the time to eat breakfast this morning, just dawned a cup of coffee and ran out to make it in time to the airport. Admittedly it was his own fault. Had he not overslept, his stomach wouldn't be rumbling right now. Emre was about to walk up to a vending machine and grab a protein bar, when he finally saw her. Margit was looking tired, as if she was on the flight for thirteen hours, not three. His alarm bells went off and worry crept in.

– Hi, stranger. – Margit threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly.

– Hey. How was the flight?

– Bumpy, but we landed in one piece, so that's a win.

– Your optimism is heartwarming. – Emre smiled and took her suitcase. – I was beginning to think you've missed your flight.

– I know, I'm sorry. I had to run to the bathroom and it took me a minute. – Her smile was apologetic. – I hope your wife doesn't mind my visit. I don't want to be an inconvenience.

– Don't even think like that. Leyla has already prepared a room for you and can't wait to meet you.

– I can't wait either, after all you told me about her I'm really excited. 

Leyla finished preparing the room for the guest. Emre personally video called Sanem to ask if his friend could stay a week or two on the farm, so even though Leyla wasn't too keen on the idea, she just smiled and nodded. Emre was very excited and she didn't want to take it away from him. The whole idea of a guest wouldn't be a problem, she liked hosting, but Margit was her husband's ex and opening her house to the woman seemed weird. She finished making the bed and sighed to her reflection in the mirror.

– It's gonna be fine. It's just a couple of weeks. You can make it that long.

She stood there in silence for a few moments, remembering Emre's joy, when he received Margit's e-mail. She just inquired how he's been and asked him for help in finding affordable accommodations for two weeks. Apparently she had some business in Istanbul but didn't speak the language. Emre just jumped at the chance and before she could say anything, he was already on the call with Sanem. Her husband and her little sister became friends when Can was away and she was happy about that.

The roar of an engine interrupted her thoughts. She quickly fixed her dress and went out to welcome the guest.

Sevgilim, this is Margit. Margit, this is my wife Leyla. – Emre carried the suitcase inside and when he moved over, Leyla's heart stopped for a second. If she hadn't known better, she would've sworn Aylin just materialized in her living room. Margit was tall and slim with a short pixie cut. Her hair was black and her make up on point, but her smile was warm and inviting. No, she was not Aylin. Margit emanated warmth and sincerity. Leyla walked up to her with an extended hand but the woman immediately hugged her.

– I'm sorry, I'm a hugger. – She said with a tiny laugh. – I heard so much about you, that I couldn't wait to meet you. Emre speaks of nothing else but you.

– Really? – Leyla looked at her husband, who just shrugged. – That's sweet of him.

– Yeah, he changed. He wasn't like that in high school.

– You will need to tell me all about it. – Leyla smiled. – But now, do you want tea or coffee?

– Tea, please. I'm a little cold.

Now that Layla saw her from up close, she noticed darker circles under Margit's eyes. The concealer wasn't strong enough to hide them, or the scar that ran through her right cheek. Her skin looked a bit ashy, too, but without having any comparison, Leyla couldn't really tell. The three of them sat by the coffee table. Emre and Leyla took one couch and Margit the other. For a moment the only sound filling the silence was a gentle tapping of raindrops on the windows. February rains were cold and unpleasant and Emre was glad they managed to get home before the rain started. But he loved the sound. It soothed him somehow. He looked at his old friend again. Something was definitely wrong.