BONUS Chapter: The e-mail

Can bey,

I do hope your travels are going well. I have concluded my investigation into an accident of Yiğit Ersöz and you were right. We have a case of fraud and bribery here. Attached is my report and audio files taken during the conversations with doctor Hasim Kaya, who was in charge of Yiğit bey's treatment and Ayla Tekin, who was his physical therapist. Should you have more questions, I will be happy to send over all my notes. As for now, report should clear all doubts.

Sincerely,
Volkan Dürüst

ATTACHMENTS:
1. The Report
2. Conversation with doctor Kaya – audio file
2a. Transcript of the conversation with doctor Kaya
3. Conversation with Ayla hanım – audio file
3a. Transcript of the conversation with Ayla hanım
4. Bank statements and phone billings

ATTACHMENT 1

The Report
Week 1
I have approached the archivist of the hospital posing as Yiğit bey's next of kin. I was unsuccessful in getting his patient files, however I did manage to learn the name of the doctor who treated him. Doctor Hasim Kaya. It turns out he no longer works in the hospital. Further inquiry revealed he's relocated to Ankara.

Week 2
I left for Ankara, where I have managed to discover new place of employment of doctor Kaya. Meanwhile Umut bey, our cyber expert, procured Yiğit bey's medical history. I have approached doctor Kaya during his break and posing as an uncle of his deceased wife, got him to agree to a friendly meeting in the evening.

In the evening, after a few shots I managed to steer the conversation to the topic of Yiğit Ersöz. [see Attachment 2 and 2a]

Week 3
Based on the information received from doctor Kaya, a colleague of mine met with Ayla hanım. Presented with the consequences of her actions and after getting our word there would be no legal action taken up against her, she disclosed all she knew about the case. [see Attachments 3 and 3a]

Week 4
Bank statements and phone billings confirm information from doctor Kaya and Ayla hanım. Investigation closed. Results send to the client.

CONCLUSIONS
It appears that after the supposed accident of Yiğit bey, Hüma hanım took it upon herself to make sure all the appearances of a serious brain injury were kept. Whether she did it of her own volition, was coaxed into it or acted hand in hand with Yiğit bey remains unknown. What has become clear, is that the supposed injuries never happened. Ayla hanım agreed to testify against Yiğit bey and Hüma hanım, should you wish to report them to the police, provided she will not be sued.

ATACHMENT 2b

[...]

Volkan bey: Hasim bey. How do you like it here in Ankara?
Hasim bey: It's good but it's not Istanbul. I had everything there.
V: So why did you move?
H: I couldn't stay there after my wife's passing.
V: I understand. When my wife passed away, I was self-sabotaging at work. Making decisions I would normally never make. It got so bad I had to leave Konya.
H: What did you do?
V: I took a bribe from the construction company to ignore certain discrepancies. They cut corners and used unsafe materials. It took a while for what I had done to sink in, but when it did, I had to move. I was too ashamed.

[silence]

H: I did something similar.
V: Waiter, another round. What happened?
H: They'd brought in a patient. He fell and hit his head.
V: Must've been serious.
H: Nah. He didn't even have a concussion.
V: So what happened?
H: A woman approached me. She said she was my patient's next of kin and wanted to know how he was. So I told her. The next thing I know, she puts an envelope on the table and tells me to put in the file that as a result of the bump, he won't be able to walk.
V: Thank you. Drink up. [silence] And what did you do?
H: I took the money, wrote down in the file that the swelling of the brain cause irreversible damage to parts of the spinal cord and it was probable the patient will never walk on his own again.
V: What did she look like?
H: Does it matter?
V: I'm a visual guy. Just paint me the picture.
H: Over fifty, a bit on the stocky side, red blouse, I think. Looked a bit like she overdid it with facelift. Had dark curly hair. Reminded me of a poodle.: Tell me, Hasim bey, was this the woman?
H: What is that? Why do you have this photograph?
V: Just answer, please. This is the patient, Yiğit Ersöz. Is the woman next to him the same, that gave you the money?
H: Yes, but her hair is short here. Who are you?
V: For the report. Witness has identified the woman as Hüma Erdamar.
H: Report? What report? Who are you?
V: Volkan Dürüst, private detective. Thank you for your cooperation.

END OF TRANSCRIPT

ATTACHMENT 3b

Umut bey: Ayla hanım?
Ayla hanım: It's me. Can I help you?
U: The name's Umut Dürüst. I'm a private detective. We need to talk about Yiğit Ersöz.
A: [silence] I do not know anyone by that name.
U: Yes, you do. You pretended for almost ten months to give him physical therapy.
A: You've got the wrong person.

[silence]

U: Do I? What you see here are your bank statements. Each month you had received a payment from Hüma Erdamar starting two months after the supposed accident up until August 2019. I assume you've gotten three times as much that month, because Hüma hanım was also buying your silence. That ship has sailed. You can speak to me alone, in your boss's office or at the police station. Your decision.
A: You don't understand. I had no choice.
U: Talk.
A: My mother got sick and couldn't work. The bills were piling up and I don't make enough here to provide for her and my two younger brothers. I still have my studies...
U: Get to the point, please.
A: Tamam, but you need to promise I will not be involved in any legal proceedings. It would've killed my mother.
U: I make no promises, it's my client's decision. The most I can do is speak to them on your behalf.

[silence]

A: It was late. There was just me and a couple other therapists left here, when she came. She knew about my problems and said she could help if I do her a favor. She told me a man in a wheelchair will come the next day. His name was Yiğit Ersöz. I was supposed to make sure he'll be my patient. I asked why, but she just told me to go with whatever happens and to keep my mouth shut. That was all.
U: Who was the woman?
A: I assume it was Hüma hanim, but she never gave me her name. She just said to check my bank balance and left. I did it at home. There was money in my account that came from an account of Hüma Erdamar, so I assumed it was her.
U: Is this the woman?
A: Yes, but her hair was longer. And this is Yiğit bey.
U: Is there anything else you want to add?
A: I realize that what I did was wrong, but I couldn't back out. I tried. I realized Yiğit bey wasn't paralyzed the moment we started working out and I told him I will not help them. But he told me it was too late, that I have taken the money and if I try to back out, they'll throw me in prison. I begged, I promised to give back the money, but he just laughed, told me to keep my mouth shut and all will be okay.
U: Is that all?
A: [silence] I regret what I did. Really. Not a day goes by without me feeling bad about it.
U: Very well. We'll stay in touch. Görüsürüz, Ayla hanım.

END OF TRANSCRIPT