Chapter 43 - Expected Returns

Sanem stood in the bathroom in a robe, desperately trying to brush her hair. It's gotten so long and unruly that not even a conditioner helped in untangling this mess. She was seriously considering just taking the scissors and cutting it off.

– Ugh! – She growled and smacked her hairbrush on the vanity. – I'm done!

– What is it, birtanem? – Can appeared in the door, already dressed, with his hair in a neat bun. He wore white shirt and dark jeans, tourmaline crystals hanging on his neck and his beard, for the first time in a while, neatly trimmed. – You need help?

– My hair... – Sanem whined pointing at her head. – And I want mango.

Can took her hand and pulled her to the room. She watched as he took a chair from the desk, put it next to the bed and patted it.

– Take a sit. Where's your hairbrush?

– In the bathroom.

Sanem sat and looked around the room as Can disappeared in the bathroom. Their bed was big and comfortable and that was the most important thing, considering they'll be staying here for a few days. TV was mounted on the wall opposite the bed. Out of curiosity she grabbed the remote and turned it on. She hasn't watched anything in a few months. Can came back with her brush, sat on the bed behind her and began gently brushing her hair. Neither of them said anything, but Sanem felt pleasant chills going up and down her spine. She moaned quietly and Can smiled. He loved that sound. Sanem kept skipping the channels until she found Animal Planet. Something caught her eye and she laughed.

Yok artık!

– What is it, love? – Can looked at the screen and noticed two chimpanzees. First one was sitting on the log, its hind legs up. The other was sitting behind him, cleaning the fur on its head from insects. He's seen this many times before so he was missing the joke. – That's funny?

– Look in the mirror.

He did. Sanem saw sitting in front of him with her legs up and he was brushing her hair. The similarity was evident and he smiled, too.

– You're something else, you know?

– I know.

A few moments later Can finished making her hair into a bun.

– Get dressed fast. It's gonna take at least an hour to get to the gallery.

– That long? – Sanem fished out a dress from her bag and took off her robe. A few months ago she would've been embarrassed to stand in front of him in nothing but her underwear, but there was no place for shame when you were living with your husband on a boat. Can moved closer to help her zip the dress. It was a classic black silk number with a wide, knee-length skirt and strapless top. The only embellishment was a beautiful sash embroidered with crystals and silver thread.

– Amazing, but there's something missing.

– What? – She looked in the mirror but all seemed fine. She had red stilettos on, long earrings and as always, a set of bangles on her right wrist and the black tourmalines on the left. Can just smiled and gave her a gift bag. Sanem looked inside and gasped.

Yok artık! Can, you didn't! – She took out a beautiful shawl. It was turquoise with red and golden flames embroidered along the border and sprinkled with tiny crystals all over. Sanem knew she's seen it before. – Thank you! When did you have time to buy it? We were together all the time? – The views from Moroccan bazaar came back to her.

– I have my ways. – He laughed. – Ready? Then let's go.

– Good morning, sevgilim. – Emre's voice was barely audible through the traffic noise, as Leyla waited at the bus stop. She pushed the phone closer to her ear and focused on her husband. – How are you feeling?