Chapter 48 - Divit, I Won

– Sanem? Sanem, wake up, sevgilim. – Can's voice penetrated the dark fog enveloping her mind. She felt a cool hand on her forehead and attempted to move, but to no avail. – Sanem, open your eyes. – He insisted.

Can was here. He found her in this cabin in the middle of the woods. She was safe.

– Can... – She whispered and slowly opened her eyes. It was almost dark, safe for a weak lamp on the night table.

– You have a fever. Damn it.

– Can... – Her eyes finally focused on the silhouette in front of her. He wasn't Can. – Yiğit.

– Welcome back. – He smiled and as she sat up, he put a glass of water in her hand. – Drink. I'll bring you Aspirin. You have a fever. – He came back a moment later with two pills which he put on the night table. Then he turned and gestured to the stack of clothes on the foot of the bed. – I got you something clean to wear. We'll stay here for a few days to wait out any search party and then we'll move.

– Yiğit, I need to go to the hospital. Please. – She pleaded. Her shoulder was swollen and the throbbing pain made it almost impossible to think of anything else.

– No, you don't. It's just a bruise. It'll subside in a couple of days. The doctors will only give you the Aspirin, which we already have. – He reached out and pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"Don't move, kız. You need him in a good mood."

Sanem barely managed not to flinch. It took her a few hours last night to perfect her plan and her voice was right. She needed Yiğit in a good mood, with his guard down. Yiğit brushed her cheek with his fingers and smiled.

– Change and come for breakfast.

Can stood at the balcony, watching the sun slowly go up. The day was cold, but the sky was crystal clear. Sanem loved days like this. They could walk all over the cities, see the sights and not get too hot. Damn it! Can looked inside at the two agents sitting by the table. Agent Kim was talking on the phone and agent Norton was typing an email. Nothing's changed since yesterday. Sanem's been gone almost 24 hours, and the FBI still had no leads. Can rubbed his face. He hasn't slept a wink. During the night he heard the annoying beep of a new email from the other room with the frequency of commercial breaks on cable TV, but still nothing came of it. He was angry, frustrated and terrified. His wife was somewhere out there, probably scared, waiting for him to find her and he couldn't do anything.

– Damn it!

His phone rang and he checked the screen.

– Emre, hi. – Can turned around and gestured to the agents that it was not Yiğit calling with a ransom demand.

– Have you found her? – His younger brother didn't bother with niceties.

– No.

– Damn it. – The frustration in Emre's voice couldn't match Can's, but it was there nonetheless. – I was hoping you had good news.

– Me too.

– How are you holding up?

– I'm not. I swear, Emre, when I find him, I will strangle him with my bare hands. – Can clenched his fists so hard, his knuckles turned white.

– When you find him, you will leave him to the FBI, abi. It's enough that our mother is in prison.

– What?! – Can was sure he misheard.

– That's the reason I called you yesterday, but after you told me about Sanem...

– Emre, talk.

Emre sighed. He wasn't going to tell his brother about Hüma until Sanem was back safe and sound, but it just slipped out of his mouth, so now he had to finish. He sat on the couch and leaned forward. With a heavy heart he told his brother about the ambush they set up for Hüma and about her arrest. He didn't notice Leyla coming out of their bedroom, he didn't hear her taking out mugs and preparing coffee.