Chapter 21 - Let's Talk

Sanem didn't wait for Can to open the door for her. She stormed into the house, all the while feeling her husband's amused gaze on her back.

– Aziz baba, you need to say something to your son. He's making fun of me!

Aziz and Mihriban were sitting on the couch, solving crosswords. Sanem's entrance startled them and pulled out of the comfortable bubble they've settled themselves into.

– What happened? Why is he making fun of you? – He asked putting down the newspaper. 

– It's because... Well... Just tell him to stop, please! – She nearly stomped her foot, but when Can closed the front door behind him, she left to hide in the bedroom.

– Son, I'm supposed to tell you to stop, I'm just not sure what. So stop. – Aziz said amused, but then added seriously – What did you do? What happened? Why is Sanem so angry.

– It's nothing, dad. – Can stood next to the couch with his arms akimbo and a smile still on his lips.

– What did doctor Janssen say? Is it something serious? – Mihriban stood up and grabbed empty glasses from the coffee table to take them back to the kitchen. – Please, tell me it's not.

– No, it's not. She'll be fine in a week, maybe two. – He blew some air and once again shook his head. Then he reached and took the glasses from Mihriban. – I'll put them in the dishwasher.

– Thank you. – She sat down and covered her legs with a blanket. 

– Excuse me, I need to go, placate my wife and beg for forgiveness.

– Forgiveness for what? Can? What's wrong with Sanem? – Aziz asked, but Can was already gone. – Do you understand anything? – He looked at his fiancée.

– No. – She put her head on his shoulder. – Six down is "shackle".

– Oh, you're right. Thank you.

Sanem was sitting on the bed, leaning on the headboard and holding her phone in front of her face. It's been a few weeks since she last spoke to her parents and she missed them terribly. Besides, her sister's words still echoed in her mind. "Mom's migraines are getting worse... Dad's diabetes is completely out of control..." Leyla was partially right – in her marital bliss Sanem completely ignored her family. If she really wanted, she would've been able to call them sooner. She promised herself to make more of an effort from now on.

Mevkibe has already finished berating her daughter for not calling immediately when she'd gotten sick, for which Sanem was very grateful. Her mother has now moved onto complaining about her father's unwillingness to eat healthier and Melihat's constant meddling with his diet.

– She keeps bringing him sweets every time I'm not around! I really don't know what to do anymore.

"Melihat abla is trying to kill dad" whispered her voice. Sanem ignored it.

– Tell her if she doesn't stop, you'll stop being friends.

– I already have. She pretends not to know what I'm talking about. But then I find her dishes in our bakkal!

"Tell her" the voice insisted.

Sus. – Sanem whispered out of the corner of her mouth and then added normally. – I don't know what to say, mom. Is dad around? You want me to talk to him?

– No, girl. He's at the store.

"Tell her. They all need a bit of shock therapy." Her voice wouldn't give up. Sanem pursed her lips for a moment, but eventually gave up.