Chapter 17 - Life Is What Happens...

Emre paid for the coffee and pastries and went back to the table where Leyla was talking on the phone with her parents. He sat down just as she was describing the little café.

- It's twice as big as our bakkal. The register is where our fridge with cold cuts and cheeses is and the rest of the place is taken by little tables. There are cacti everywhere and the walls are the color of sand. I think it's supposed to have this desert feel. - She paused for a moment, listening to Mevkibe and carefully avoiding looking at Emre. - Evet, anne. Aziz baba said they have the best coffee in Muiden, but it's his friend's place, so I don't know. Their cheesecake looks very good, though. - Young girl, no older than fifteen years old, brought up the tray with their coffee, cheesecake and tiramisu. She looked at Emre who thanked her.

- Enjoy. - She replied and smiled, but Leyla ignored her.

- Yes, mom, I will. Give dad a kiss from me. And from Emre. - She added, when her husband signaled to her. - See you soon.

- How are they? - Emre asked, when Leyla hid her phone and grabbed the fork. - What did the doctor say?

- Absolutely nothing. She didn't go.

- What do you mean: "She didn't go"? She needs to get herself checked. Those migraines are not just gonna go away.

- Don't tell me. Tell her. She's just as stubborn about her health as dad is about his. - Leyla took a sip of coffee and quietly sighed. - Tamam, Aziz baba was right. This coffee is amazing.

Emre smiled. It was the first time in weeks that something enthused his wife and he saw it as a breakthrough. Mihriban hanım was right when she said a change of scenery would do Leyla good. New place forced her to pay attention to what was outside and not constantly think about her loss. He reached out to take her hand, but she pulled it away. The silence between them was deafening.

- Sanem, my girl! - Aziz opened the door and immediately hugged his daughter-in-law.

- I got married and suddenly I don't matter anymore, Aziz kaptan? - Can put their bags on the floor and went in to hug Mihriban.

- Sanem is prettier than you.

- Ayy, baba!

Mihriban led them to the living room. It was spacious and cozily decorated. Most of it was taken by a giant blue corner sofa and coffee table with glass top. Walls were white, but each was full of pictures of family. Sanem immediately sat down and breathed in deeply.

- Are you feeling well? - Mihriban looked concerned.

- She's been a little sick for the past few days. - Can answered instead. - Stomach problems. She can't keep anything down. We need to get her to the doctor.

This was the moment when Sanem lost her fight with nausea. She covered her mouth and jumped up off the couch. Mihriban immediately pointed her toward the bathroom. Can followed and without a word held her hair and gently rubbed her back. Few minutes later Sanem relaxed, but remained leaning on the toilet.

- Can, I can't do this anymore. I'm so tired and everything hurts.

- I know, bebek. You think you can manage to get into the car? I'll take you to the emergency room.

- I think so.

She stood up, washed her mouth and slowly walked back to the living room. She was leaning on Can the entire time. This was not the way she wanted this visit to start, but apparently her body had the final say in this situation. She hated seeing Can so worried. For some ridiculous reason he blamed himself for her condition. And now Mihriban abla and Aziz baba saw her like this and will probably think her and Can's journey is a huge mistake. She finally sat again and took herbal tea Mihriban prepared for her while she was hugging the toilet.