Chapter 56 - The Tale of Two Dummies

Can kept on walking. It was early afternoon, but the sky was already gray, as it usually is in New York in winter. Clouds were hanging low, but they didn't threat the world with another snowstorm. And even if they did, Can was too lost in his own thoughts to notice. Somehow he managed to catch a cab that took him to Central Park. It was the one place in the whole city where he really felt like he could breathe. He walked passed the Ladies Pavilion and headed towards his favorite Oak Bridge. It was made of oak wood and cast iron and in winter had the eerie atmosphere of an abandoned Victorian passage. He took out his camera and began clicking, not really knowing what he wanted to show. His head was still too full of confusion and anger.

– Ugh. Shame I don't have a voice in my head. – He murmured. – Would be nice to talk it over with someone.

His cell phone rang as if on command. Can reached to his pocket and smiled.

Baba, speak of the devil. – He looked around for a bench, but found none. – I need a piece of advice.

– Tell me, my son. What's been bothering you?

– It's Sanem, dad. I think I did something stupid.

Sanem finished making pierogi and cleaned up the kitchen. It's been almost an hour since Can left, Mark, Yun and Maya just posted a picture from the toy store, which meant they'll probably won't be home for at least another half an hour. She was sitting by the island counter, sipping mulled wine. It warmed her up in no time, but also made her thoughts all tangly and confused.

"Girl, put this away, you'll get drunk."

Sus!

"Don't sus me. Being drunk alone is a waste. Just wait for Can, get drunk together and do all the delicious things..."

– In case you haven't noticed, I'm angry with him.

"I noticed. You blew up at him and threw him out. Even though it's not your home. Even though you wouldn't be here, if it weren't for him."

Sanem sighed and slumped a little.

Evet, yaa. I shouldn't have done it.

"Don't get me wrong. He deserved scolding, but..."

– I went too far.

"A little, yes."

– I'll call him. – She smiled, as always when seeing their wedding photo on her phone screen, and clicked on Can's contact. – Ugh. Busy. – She glanced at the hour and quickly did the math. It should be around one at night in Istanbul now. Late, but was it too late? She struggled a bit with her decision, then send a text. Not a minute passed when her phone rang with the incoming videocall.

– Hi, mom. I didn't mean to wake you.

– You didn't sweetheart. I was going through the complaints from the mahalle. Not easy being in charge. – Mevkibe smiled. – Did something happen? Are you and Can all right? Where are you?

– Still in New York. We argued. – She made a face. – Or more like I scolded him and then threw him out.

– Oh, baby. – Mevkibe poured herself fresh tea and sat at the kitchen table. – Tell me exactly what happened.

– And that's when she told me to leave. – There was nobody around, so Can put his father on the speaker and kept taking photos. – I preferred not to argue, she had a knife. – His poor attempt at a joke went unappreciated by his father.

– Son, you're a smart man.

– Very smart. – Mihriban shouted from the background. Obviously this was not a private conversation. Can just shook his head. He should've figured it out.