Chapter 16: Truth

Sophia ringed her hands together as he stood there looking at her. How was she possibly going to start this conversation. He takes her hands into his own before leading her somewhere. She allows him to guide her to a sofa in the living room as they both sit down. His hands not once leaving her own. She feels his fingers running comfortingly over her knuckles. 

"I can't..." She takes a deep breath trying to regulate her breathing. The tears welling up in her eyes. Her voice coming out much softer, "I can't promise you a future Luca."

His finger halts as he looks at the beauty before him. He can see in her eyes the utter pain and brokenness that lies within. He feels his chest tighten but tries to hold it together while trying to understand. "What do you mean Tesoro?"

Her eyes close tightly as he gives her the term of endearment. The tear escaping running down her cheek which she allows not willing to look at the man before her. He has such a future ahead of him. All she wanted was for someone to look at her without pity. He was that for her but her feelings have become so much more. After the talk with Jessica, then with Luca in the car. It all became surreal how much she wanted this... wanted him. But she can't do it to him. 

"Luca, I'm sick"

His brows furrowed trying to understand. She looked fine. He released one hand to come up to cup her cheek in his hand directing her face to his. 

"Look at me"

"I can't" She whimpered. 

"Sophia, open your eyes."

She opened them slowly and Luca's blue eyes kept lock on her. His other hand coming up to caress her face. She looked at him with pure pain. He didn't understand. 

"Listen to me Tesoro, we can figure this-"

Sophia stands up pulling away from him. His eyes following her but doesn't stand. He is lost and hurt. All he wants to do is comfort her. She turns away for a moment before looking back at him. 

"You don't understand Luca. I can't be that girl. The woman your mother expects me to be. I don't even know if I can have kids. I may not even have time-"

"Tesoro, you're not making sense." Luca says standing up stepping to her. 

"I have cancer Luca." 

Just like that, his blood runs cold. The woman he is crazy for has cancer. Her emerald eyes enveloped in redness. He cups her cheeks in his palms looking to her. She is barely containing the flood of tears wanting to spill. 

"Leukemia to be exact."

She cries and he instantly pulls her into his arms holding her firmly to his chest. She sobs on him while he continues to hold her. His mind moving a mile a minute. Multiple questions running through his head but he doesn't want to push her. He slowly rocks her back and forth like an infant helping calm her. 

"It doesn't matter" His words make her pull back to look up at him. "We will figure it out... together."

"Luca" Her voice defeated as she drops her head. 

"Don't" He warns knowing she is puling away, building those walls. 

"I want so much to be that girl for you. I want to be the girl who falls in love, gets married, becomes a mother, and grows old with you... but it's not possi-"

"Who says?" He says feeling his heart beating out of his chest. "Who says we can't make that future a reality."

She takes a deep breath attempting to step back. He word being 'attempt'. His arms quickly lock around her not allowing her to escape. She takes a moment collecting herself. Her stance becoming stronger as she lifts her head. The redness in her eyes still present but she refuses to continue crying.