Chapter 48: Job Offer

Sophia sighed slouching back in her chair continuing to reread the same email. Her teeth gnawing at her bottom lip while she picks at her nails. She didn't know what to think or better yet... how to tell Luca. Her eyes glancing at the heavy wooden door that has been closed for some time as he was in a meeting with his father. 

"Sophia?"

She looked up to find Mark giving her a quizzical look as he stepped off the elevator. She straightened her spine giving him a polite smile as he stepped over to her. She sat her phone down when he stopped at her desk. His gaze still concerned with one eye brow raised. 

"Are you alright?" She nodded her head and stood up rounding the desk. She didn't say anything as she stepped to the door. Luca had told her to lead Mark in once he arrived. Sophia knocked lightly earning a 'come in' from the other side. She opened the door holding it open for Mark. He didn't move for a moment as he looked at her. Her gaze dropped to the floor hoping he wouldn't question further. He stepped next to her, "I'm here if you need to talk."

She only nodded her head as he walked in. She could feel other eyes on her but refuse to meet their gaze. Her hand left the door allowing it to close with all men securely inside. She walked back to her desk sitting down before picking up her phone looking at the email once again. Not sure what to do, she decides to stand up leaving a message on her desk that she would be right back. 

She takes her phone hopping in the elevator pressing down to the Finance floor. The ding alerting her to the arrival of the floor. Her feet taking her to Jessica. She walked by Taylor's desk and knocked on Jessica's office. Without waiting for a reply she walked in to find Brad standing next to Jessica's desk with her wrapped in his arms. They were all smiles as their heads snapped to the door. 

"Sophia?" Jessica looks to her sister seeing her distressed features. She turns to Brad, "I'll see you at lunch Brad."

He nods pecking her lips before releasing her and walking up to Sophia. His eyes showing his concern but he only brings her into his arms giving her a brief hug before kissing the crown of her head and walking out. Sophia walks over to Jessica who is still standing with her eyes zeroed in on her. Jessica goes to question her again but Sophia hands over her phone with the email open. Jessica's brows pull together but she sits down reading it while Sophia chews on her nails. 

Sophia, 

            We are missing you here at TIMES! I have a project for you! Let me know what you would think about going to Thailand for Loy Krathong, the festival of Lights. I have a ticket ready for you to go the first of the month. You will be there for a week's time to cover the event and a few surrounding spots. 

            I am excited to hear from you so please reach out as soon as possible. Looking forward to hearing from you Sophia!

TIMES Editor and Chief,
Jake Silverstein

"Oh..." Jessica's voice sounding hollow as she slouches momentarily making Sophia feel worse. Jessica blinks a few times finally meeting her baby sister's gaze. "They want to send you so soon?"

Sophia flopped down in one of the chairs in front of Jessica's desk. Her head instantly going into her hands as she leaned forward. She didn't know what to do. She would love to go but with Jessica, Destiny and Luca... Could she really go?? 

Jessica seeing her so torn stands up silently rounding her desk before kneeling down in front of her baby sister. Her hand going to her knee making her emerald eyes snap to her. Jessica searched her face for a moment before she gave a small smile.