Chapter 8: Common Ground

Sophia still couldn't fathom how she got into this situation. Sitting here in a fancy restaurant with a man she was supposed to keep a distance from. His smiles and chuckles made her insides do flips. She would have never pictured the CEO of a multimillion dollar company to be so... laid back. The way Taylor, and Brad spoke of him. She believed him to be closed off, and cold. Luca didn't appear to be that way. She liked his banter even when she is the object that makes him chuckle.

She just agreed to be his assistant. She couldn't believe that Fletcher would do such a thing. I mean, he had the perfect job and he blew it... for what? A small bonus?! It seems unreal but again, he is a snake. She continues eating the burger while he glances at her with a small smile on his lips. She continues throwing fries telling him to stop only making him look to her all the more. She can feel the permanent blush coating her cheeks from his gaze. He's done it more than once during this lunch. 

"Luca?" He hums in response as he signs for the check before looking to her. "I still don't plan on working longer than the two months."

She sees his eyes look deep on her as if studying her. She didn't have the heart to explain further. He didn't need to know. As if sensing her hesitation, he nods his head. Sophia sighs in relief but she could have sworn she heard him murmur 'will see' under his breath. Rather than starting any argument, she drops it... for now

He leads her back outside with his hand finding the small of her back again. She bit the inside of her cheek feeling the heat from his hand seeping into her back. It was a sweet gesture that made her knees weak. They walked back to the office in comfortable silence. 

"Hey wait!" Her hand shooting out to stop him. He raises a brow as if asking 'what'. "You never did tell me if I was right. Is your favorite color blue?"

He smirks as he begins to walk not answering her question. She walks quickly to fall in step with him. They reach the office building where he pulls the door open for her. He gives a hello to Sam at the front desk who looks between the two in shock and confusion. Sophia just waves and catches up with Luca getting in the elevator. He presses her floor and his own. His eyes set forward as she hangs behind him against the wall of the elevator until she hears the familiar ding. She goes to step around him when leans towards her. 

"No Tesoro... my favorite color is red" 

His words were soft against the shell of her ear making her shutter as his finger twisted a bit of her hair. His hand released it before he gently tapped her lower back ushering her forward. She turned back to look at him as he smirked while the elevator doors closed. She stood there baffled. Was he referring to her hair?!?

Turning back around, she walks to her office as it appears no one seem to notice her arrival this time. They all seemed to engross in their own works which she considered a blessing. She walked to her office but Taylor quickly jumped up walking to her with her hands on her hips. Her lips pursed looking like she is about explode. 

"You have A LOT of explaining to do!"

Sophia walks around her desk still feeling slightly in a fog by Luca's actions. She flops down in her chair as Taylor closes her office door and comes running to sit in front of her. She brushes her fingers through her hair trying to gather her thoughts. 

"I don't even know what to say"

"Well let's start with why the CEO and his aunt made a trip to your office?! He has never come down here to visit any of us before."

Her heart fluttered hearing that. She cleared her throat, "I went to go tell him what I found about those checks but I made a fool of myself dropping them on his floor. I ran..."