Chapter 43: Confrontation

Luca sat at his desk long after the workday had ended. His mind continuing to spiral down a dark path trying to comprehend what he had stumbled onto. His fingers continuing to tap the sealed envelope in his hand onto the desk. The remains of the folder now sprawled out across his desk. He had released Taylor about an hour ago to go home. The place he should be heading as well but doesn't know how to come face to face with the person causing his current predicament. 

Feeling his phone vibrate once again, he looks down at the caller ID to find Sophia's name lighting up his phone. He watches his phone continue to light up for another 15 seconds or so before the call goes to voicemail. This was her third time attempting to call now. He leaned back in his chair looking to the ceiling as his mind continued to reel around the new information he found out. Pinching of the bridge of his nose, he sighs heavily as his office phone rings. Without thinking about it, he reaches to answer it 

"Sanford"

"Luca, is everything okay?" He closes his eyes tight hearing her sweet voice through the phone. 

"Yea.. I uh-" he clears his throat sitting up in his seat. "I am just finishing up some paperwork. Don't worry Sophia." 

She is silent for a moment before her voice comes back more timid. "Have you eaten dinner?"

"You don't need to worry about me Sophia. I'll be home later. I got to go." He hesitates for a moment but hangs up without saying anything further. 

His mood becoming even more foul with how much of an ass he is being to her. He just didn't know how to feel. His hand going to lift the will again seeing her name in bold italics across the top. He was mad, and hurt that she made these forms. Another part of him understood that she was protecting herself and her family but it was silenced by his irritation. He goes to walk over to the bar getting a shot of his father's favorite bourbon before throwing it back. The amber liquor burning on it's way down. 

He went and sat down at his desk again deciding to gather the documents back into the file. With a deep breath, he places the folder including the sealed envelope back into his briefcase. He glances at his uncle's unopen letter but his gut turns uncomfortably making him walk away without taking another glance at it. He gets into his elevator trying to think straight but his mind is to far gone. The drive to his home seeming to fly by in a blur. 

Arriving at his door, his hand hesitates to go into his home. Not ready to confront what lies on the other side. Straightening his shoulders, he opens the door finding the house dark other than a lamp in the living room next to Sophia who is sitting with a book in her hands. He closes the door and walks to her making her look up to him with those emerald jewels that enrapture him. 

He closes his eyes sitting down with a fair amount of distance between them. The motion not going unnoticed by Sophia who looks confused and slightly hurt by his actions. He sits their for a moment leaning forward with his hands intertwined and elbows resting on his knees. Finding a bit of strength, he turns to her who is already looking at him. 

"Sophia, we need to talk."

She sets the book to the side pulling herself forward so her body rest on the edge of the chair looking to him. Her eyes holding a mixture of emotions including confusion, hurt, and fear. He turns his attention to his briefcase putting it onto the coffee table and opening it. He takes out the folder before handing it to her. She takes it with furrowed brows looking at him for answers but he doesn't and just leans back watching her carefully. 

Sophia opens the folder and after only a moment, her eyes widen in shock before she closes it looking at him. Her eyes no longer holding the emotions they previously had but now only holding one... anger.