Chapter 36: Tic Toc

Luca couldn't breathe. His eyes glued on Sophia lying on the bed. Both hands grasping her hand tightly as he continued waiting. He felt as if that is all he has been doing for the last 36 hours. The sound of a wall clock and the beeping of the monitor the only remaining sounds in the room. 

Time is a fickle bitch. Time never stops. We want to rewind, we want to fast forward but it will forever keep moving. It is the only constant in a ever changing world. When he was with Sophia, all he wanted to do was freeze it. But now... with her lying here recovering from surgery, all he wanted to do was fast-forward the fucking thing. He has felt paralyzed just waiting for any sign from her. His body refusing to shut down until those emerald eyes finally open allowing him to breathe. 

Tic toc

He gripped her hand trying to keep himself from breakdown. The doctors had done the surgery successfully. They said due to her weak state, that she would be out for some time. He never once left her side after they were allowed to see her. His mind on a one track mind. 

He couldn't get over what he had walked into yesterday. Finding her completely collapsed with paramedics hovering over her. The images will forever be engraved in his mind. He blamed himself for not forcing his tesoro to remain home. Who knows if that would have made the difference or not. She may not have collapsed? Or worse, she would have collapsed at home with no one to help... He shook his head trying to rid of those thoughts. 

Tic toc

He laid his head against their hands tilting his head to the side so he could continue looking at her. The family had left a few hours ago. Destiny was to rest for a day and be monitored due to her being so young. Brad and Jessica were with her in her room. His parents finally left in the late hours of the evening stating they would be back tomorrow. 

Taylor had continued to be everyone's support. He would need to give her a bonus later for all that she had done. Not only for Sophia, but for him as well. She had admitted to going into his office to collect his keys and briefcase just in case before locking his office up for him. She had also stated that she had rescheduled all his meetings yesterday out and promised to do so for the next few days if need be. He thanked her lowly and she just nodded not needing anything further. He realized that due to her role as Jessica's assistant, that she was quick to react in situations. He may have to consider using her while Sophia recovers. 

Tic toc

He lifted his head back up scooting his chair impossibly closer to the plastic railing of the bed. His body sore from the uncomfortable chair but did not dare to remove himself from Sophia. His hand going up to touch her shaved head again. Her wig had been laid aside during the surgery and now was laying on the table in the corner of the room along with a few bags that Taylor had brought. She had a beany on trying to keep her as warm as possible. 

The doctors said that they will not know the true success of the surgery until a few weeks after but the immediate white blood cell count was a good sign. It will really depend on how Sophia in the end. They have been coming in to continue monitor her and check her vitals every hour. Each nurse giving him a reassuring smile each and every time. 

Tic toc

"Listen to me love... I need you to open those beautiful eyes. Do you hear me? I can not breathe til I know that you are alright. I feel like I have lost half of me and only you can restore it."

He could feel his eyes tearing up for the hundredth time that day. He was not sure how he had any water left in him. His mother held him for most of it but at times he found his father clutching his shoulder in silent comfort. His father is not a very affection man with anyone other than his mom but for the first time, he could feel him trying. He was trying to be the man that his mother had claimed him to be for years.