Chapter 22: Glimpse

Darkness. I felt enraptured by it. It was not terrifying as I had predicted. My hand came out to move around in the endless abyss. My body neither cold nor warm. I felt as if I was afloat. A small beacon of light coming from a distant spot before getting larger and larger. My hand comes up to guard my eyes shielding it from the brightness. After a moment, I chance looking through my hands to find a small child. She appears to be the source of light. My head tilts slightly and the little girl mimics me with a giggle. 

"Wha-what are you? Where am I?"

She grins holding out a hand to me. I take it without hesitation. Her warmth seeping into my body. She turns and practically flies away. My body jerks keeping up with her. Almost instantaneously we are standing at a door. The little girl turns opening the door before walking into what appears to be a child's room. It has soft cream walls with a pastel pink duvet on the twin bunk bed. A tea table standing in the room with a tea set already put in place. 

Without realizing it the little girl tugs her hand into the room directing her over to a chair in the room. I try to situate myself into the chair while the little girl bring her tea pot over to the cup in front of me tipping it as if she was pouring my cup then she does her own. She then goes over to sit down in the chair opposite of her before bringing the cup to her lips. Without thinking, I match her actions taking a good look at the little girl. 

The little girl has long red soft curls that flow down her back. An align of freckles dancing across her cheek bones and some bluish gray eyes. She was a beautiful little girl that could not be more than 5 years old. The little girl sits down the tea cup and tilts her head at me. I set my cup down looking to her as well. 

"Where are your parents sweetie?"

She grins up at me, "they're close."

My brows furrowing in confusion but she gets up getting a brush from a nearby vanity before climbing onto my lap facing away from me. She hands me the brush and I began gently running it through her hair. She hums while I do so to a tune that sounds so familiar but I can't seem to remember from where. After a few minutes I place the brush onto the table as she gets off my lap walking over to her mirror to inspect my work. She gives one decisive nod before turning back to me. 

"Do you like me?"

Her question takes me by surprise but I answer from instinct. "Of course cupcake."

The little girl smiles adorably reaching for a necklace clutching it in her hand still looking to me. "My mom loves that nickname."

I smile at her not sure what to say. She turns walking over to me before taking my hand and directing me to the bottom bunk before gently nudging me to sit down. Her feet padding over to a book shelf before coming back with a book in hand. She climbs up on the bed sitting beside me before handing it to me. I began reading it out loud to her. Her little frame lays against my arm before I lift it allowing her to lay in the security of my hold. After some time the little girl falls asleep. Laying the book to the side, I lift her laying her below the blanket and tucking her in. My lips come to grace her forehead giving her a kiss. 

Standing up, I walk back to the door opening it but I am brought to a view of what looks like a hospital room. My view is from above as if look into it. I recognize myself lying on the bed and sitting by my side is Luca. His hand holding my firmly in his own. His eyes showing how broken he feels currently and the image causes my chest to constrict. I come down so I am standing beside the bed reaching over my own body to graze his hair but I can't touch him. 

"You better listen to me Tesoro. I need you to know that you mean everything to me... and I can't- I can not lose you... Do you hear me?" I watched feeling helpless as he struggled. "You are not allowed to give in. You are not allowed to give up because I am a selfish bastard that wants to keep you all to myself. I am so desperately falling for you Sophia Andrews. I love the way you make me feel, the way you light up a room without even trying. You are my light, and without it.. I fear the darkness will swallow me whole."