Chapter 37: Discovery & Acceptance

"Luca GO!"

"Teso-"

"Nope" Sophia pushed him gently while he looked like he wanted to argue further. She lifted her head and pointed to the door. He scowled and turned practically stomping making Sophia want to laugh. "I love you Luca!"

He froze still looking towards the door. His slouches visibly relaxing making her smile gently. "Love you too."

He walked out without looking back and she giggled shaking her head at him. He has been stuck up in this hospital room for the past two days and she knew that he needed to get back to work. His father had stepped in enough and she knew that it was not his job anymore. Luca claimed he would not leave her side until she was released and she internally swooned at his dedication but she needed to time to process everything as well. 

When she had passed out in Taylor's arms, she really thought that was it. That she would never get to see Luca again. That she would never see Destiny grow up and terrorize her mother. She felt her body sinking further and further into oblivion and only was pulled back by a rope that she grabbed onto and refuse to let go. Hearing Luca's voice filter through the dark, she used all the strength she had to come back. She had not expected to find out all that occurred. 

She had her surgery and it was successful. The doctors said it would take time confirm that her body doesn't turn against the healthy cells but everything so far is going in the right direction. She felt overwhelmed by the news. Luca's arms were her comfort zone but she needed to process this. 

Over the past few days, everyone has come to visit. Heather had come and spent some time discussing everything and anything with her. Luca was happy to have his mother there. Taylor had told her how she was taking on the extra help of handling secretary for both Jessica and Mr. Sanford Sr. Luca had already informed her of a hefty pay raise if she was willing to stay on until Sophia was ready to return. She took it and promised to do the best she could which Luca had no doubt about. 

Jessica on the other hand had come during her lunch breaks to tell her about the development going on in her home. She is feeling confused by Brad lately. He is still the same caring guy he always was but lately they have had a weird tension surrounding them. He has apparently been staying at her home for some time now and sleeping on the couch. He even gets up if Destiny wakes in the night. Jessica just feels conflicted not sure what has changed. 

She even had a surprise visit from Mark, Brad's boss, and Sam. She cried finding Sam coming in with a bag of food from McDonalds. Luca tried to interject that she shouldn't eat it but she quickly glared at him and grabbed the bag holding it to her chest like a prized possession. Mark and Sam were chuckling at her but didn't dare try to snatch the bag away. Mark had brought her a new problem to solve which she solved within twenty minutes leaving him astounded with her yet again. 

Knock Knock

Her eyes drifting to the door finding a familiar face peaking his head in. "How's my baby Sophia?"

"Ready to break out." She said truthfully. She looked outside wanting fresh air. Her eyes turned back to find Brad pushing a wheelchair in. 

"Would you look at that?!" He gasp dramatically making her grin. "It's as if we think alike."

"Get over here and get me!" She demanded already throwing the blanket off. 

Brad laughed but came over helping her over. She was still moving very slowly due to her body recovering but he lifted her with ease before depositing her into the wheelchair. She was happy she no longer had any IVs left. Just the heart monitor which she took of her finger making the machine beep excessively.