37│RIGHT GIFTS FOR THE WRONG GIRL

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Ooh, cute scarf Veronica," Rachel smiled appreciatively, "Is it new?"

"Yup."

"Can I borrow-"

"Nope," Veronica cut her off immediately.

"How'd you afford a Gucci scarf if you're broke?" Monica asked with furrowed brows.

"Oh, uh, Joey got it for me as a present," She smiled softly at the memory.

"Wow, I never knew Joey was capable of getting good presents for people," Monica laughed.

"Hi. You guys have any wrapping paper?" Chandler asked as he walked into the apartment.

"Ooh! Is it for my birthday present?" Phoebe asked, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Phebes, it was your birthday, like, months ago," Chandler laughed.

"Yeah, but remember you said you ordered something special, and it just hasn't come yet?"

His eyes widened and he nodded slowly. "...Well, I have a call in about that."

"Oh, okay," Phoebe sang and let the matter go almost immediately.

"Actually, this is for Kathy's birthday," He explained, "It's an early edition of her favorite book."

"Oh, The Velveteen Rabbit!" Rachel cooed as she snatched the book from him, "Oh my God, when the boy's love makes the rabbit real!"

"Okay, but don't touch it, because your fingers have destructive oils," Chandler snapped.

"Huh. Well, then you'd better keep it away from Ross's hair," Rachel smirked as Veronica laughed loudly.

"I do not have-"

Veronica cut Ross off. "Ross, your hair has so much oil in it, I'm surprised there aren't countries trying to invade it."

"So this is pretty rare. How did you get that?" Rachel wondered.

"Oh, it wasn't a big deal. I just went to a couple of bookstores, talked to a couple of dealers... called a couple of the author's grandchildren," Chandler trailed off sheepishly.

"Oh, honey, that's so sweet," Rachel cooed as she patted his shoulder sympathetically.

"Yeah, and what a great way to say, 'I secretly love you, roommate's girlfriend!'" Phoebe pointed out sharply.

"It doesn't say that," Chandler huffed before he frowned worriedly, "Does it?"

"How do you think it's gonna look when you get her something incredibly meaningful and expensive and her boyfriend Joey gives her an orange?" Ross raised a brow.

"Okay, all right, I'll just make sure that Joey gets her something really great," Chandler suggested with a shrug.

"It's gotta be better than that book," Phoebe pointed out, "Oo! Like a crossbow!"