71│THE AFTERMATH

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

Veronica shuffled out of her room in her breakup sweats and breathed a sigh of relief when she found the apartment was empty. She was not in the mood to deal with anyone, especially not when she knew the topic of conversation would exclusively be about what happened in Vegas.

Veronica didn't roll a hard eight that night.

Instead, she and Joey broke up.

She just couldn't get over him ignoring her and lying to her for all those weeks. Everyone except for Rachel thought she'd overreacted but none of them would ever say it out loud because they liked having their head attached to their body.

Only Rachel knew what was going on through Veronica's head when she broke up with Joey and that's why she understood. She knew Veronica was just trying to jump ship before the iceberg was even in sight because she did not want to go down with a sinking ship again.

Veronica had a very serious but very tumultuous relationship with her ex-boyfriend, Jack. He'd ruined love for her because for years she automatically associated the feeling with pain and heartbreak. He'd lied to her so much that Veronica was sure even he didn't know where the lies ended and the truth began.

And for a while, it was a beautiful lie. So beautiful that Veronica wanted so badly to believe it that she forced herself to even when she knew she shouldn't. But all those lies culminated in what Rachel dubbed The Incident – Jack cheating on Veronica.

So, when she found out that Joey had been lying to her for weeks on end? She couldn't help but think of Jack and all the pain that came with him. So, she broke up with Joey for two reasons. One, because she had sworn to herself that lying (the big lies not the small ones like when she lied about cookie dough causing performance issues so Joey would stop eating it and she'd have it all to herself) was a dealbreaker for her.

And two because she didn't ever want to compare Joey to Jack. She knew he wasn't a scumbag like her ex but she also knew that she wouldn't be able to stop the thoughts, no matter how wrong they were. And that wasn't fair to Joey.

"Cooking Chardonnay?" Veronica read the label on the wine bottle and scoffed, "You don't tell me how to use you," She snarled at the bottle before taking a long swig.

She frowned down at the bottle when she went to take another sip only to find it was empty. It seemed that while she wouldn't let the bottle tell her what to do, Monica definitely did.

Veronica pursed her lips and went on the hunt for another source of alcohol. "Rubbing alcohol? You don't tell me how to use you either!" She yelled angrily at the bottle as if it was the reason she was feeling so down.

Thankfully before she could try to take a drink of the rubbing alcohol, the door to the apartment flew open.

"Veronica? I brought your favorite; two pizzas!" Chandler called excitedly before he frowned when he noticed her and the bottle of wine on the table, "Why are you still drinking? It's 10 in the morning!"