62│NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

It was officially 1999. The friends had brought in the new year with a fun party that they were now cleaning up.

"Y'know what? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no divorces in '99!" Ross cheered.

"But your divorce isn't even final yet," Rachel pointed out.

Ross faltered. "Just the one divorce in '99!" He cheered instead, "Y'know what, I am gonna be happy this year. I am gonna make myself happy."

Chandler frowned. "Do you want us to leave the room, or?"

"No. He can 'make himself happy' in his own apartment," Veronica huffed sternly.

Ross rolled his eyes at the two, they were a dynamic duo from hell; a demon duo. "Every day I am gonna do one thing that I haven't done before. That my friends, is my New Year's resolution," He explained proudly.

"Ooh! That's a good one!" Phoebe grinned brightly, "Mine is to pilot a commercial jet."

Everyone paused at how casually she'd said that. Sometimes they really wondered just how the blonde's head worked.

"That's a good one too, Pheebs," Chandler chuckled sarcastically, "Now all you have to do is find a planeload of people whose resolution is to plummet to their deaths."

Phoebe narrowed her eyes at him. "Maybe your resolution is to not make fun of your friends, especially the ones who may soon be flying you to Europe for free on their own plane."

Monica scoffed and laughed. "She has a better chance of sprouting wings and flying up your nose than you do of not making fun of us."

"And Chandler has a better chance of getting a girlfriend than Ross does at being happy," Veronica countered carelessly as she flipped through a magazine.

Chandler and Monica shared a knowing look with a smile.

Ross let out an offended huff as he stared at her with a frown. "Excuse me?!"

"You're excused," She smirked as she finally looked up from her magazine.

"You don't know me!" He scoffed, not liking how no one else was defending him.

"I know everything about you. You're an open book written for very dumb children," She shrugged, "Ross, you have this innate ability to just say 'hi' and make someone want to kill themselves."

Ross let out an incredulous huff once again and looked around the room, waiting for someone to defend him but everyone looked away from him. "Yeah, well, you have an innate ability to be mean!" He countered childishly.

"I know," She said casually, "The difference is I can admit that I'm a bitch."

Veronica knew she wasn't always the nicest and she was really trying to fix that. But at least she had always been able to admit that she wasn't the nicest. But Ross couldn't admit to his faults.