63│THE VERONICA AND MONICA DUALITY

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Hey," Chandler greeted as he walked into the girls' apartment, "Is Veronica here?"

"She's hiding in the bathroom pretending to shower because I asked her for help," Monica explained with a roll of her eyes as she continued peeling potatoes all on her own.

Chandler chuckled. "Smart," He said proudly before he immediately wiped the smile off his face at the pointed look his secret girlfriend gave him.

The bathroom door slowly creaked open and Veronica cautiously poked her head out. When she saw Chandler she nodded her head towards the kitchen, silently asking if Monica was still there.

He shook his head and motioned for her to come out. "Hey, are you busy tonight?"

"Probably but if whatever you want me to come to is more fun then no, I'm free," She smiled.

"We're having another office party because we had a lot of liquor left over from the Christmas party," He explained.

"That's weird," Veronica frowned in confusion, "I was at that party so you'd think they wouldn't have that problem," She joked with a chuckle.

Monica looked between the two with furrowed brows. "Hold on, um, why are you going to his office parties?"

"He had to do damage control after he took Joey to his office once. And I owed him a favor because he went with my lie when I told Joey that he'd grow a third nipple if he didn't stop talking with his mouth full. So whenever he has a work party, I'm his fake girlfriend," She explained casually.

"Everybody loved Veronica. And they like me more just because I was with her!" He grinned, "She repaired a lot of the damage from when they met Joey."

Monica frowned. "Well, why didn't you ask me to go. Y'know, your real girlfriend."

Chandler paused, the idea never having crossed his mind. "Oh, well, I just figured it was easier with Veronica since she knew the drill."

"I already perfected my work laugh from all the stupid office parties and work meetings with the firm," Veronica smiled proudly, "And I figured out the perfect amount of drinks where I'm sober enough to still pretend to be nice but drunk enough to deal with his boss, Doug."

Monica huffed, upset she still wasn't offered to be Chandler's date. "How about I go instead?"

Chandler and Veronica paused and shared a look. "Do you think she can handle it?"

Turning to her, Veronica looked her up and down before she shook her head. "No. But since they already met Joey, then she can't be worse than him."

Monica let out a scoff, clearly offended at their words. But before she could complain, Veronica was dragging her to her bedroom.