59│ROOMATE ROSS

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Hey roomies!" Ross sang as he greeted Joey and Chandler with a bright smile.

Ross had been kicked out of the apartment he was supposed to rent from Emily's cousin after he finally ended things with her. Unfortunately for him, he hadn't taken Veronica's advice to insist on a lease because Emily convinced him that a lease wasn't needed when it came to family.

"I told him to get a lease," Veronica sighed as she looked around the borderline comedic amount of boxes littered around the boys' apartment, "But no, what do I know?" She scoffed quietly.

"Love what you've done with the place," Chandler chuckled tightly as he looked around in disbelief.

"Oh, yeah I know, I know, it's a lot of boxes," He rubbed the back of his neck with a sheepish smile, "But again I really appreciate you guys letting me stay here."

"Not a problem. And listen, hey! Since you're gonna be here for a while, I was thinking we uh, put your name on the answering machine," Joey suggested, trying not to show his discontent.

Ross chuckled shyly. "Oh, I uh, hope you don't mind, I kinda uh, jazzed it up a little. Check this out," He played the greeting for them and mouthed along to it, "We will, we will, call you back!"

Joey forced a mirthless laugh. "Hey, all right!"

"Pretty cool, huh?" Ross grinned.

Chandler quickly pinched Veronica's arm before she could say anything, and nodded enthusiastically.

"You're fake laughing too, right?" Joey asked desperately as soon as Ross walked away.

"Oh, the tears are real," Chandler huffed with a forced smile.

"Roommate Ross is going to be way worse than Regular Ross," Veronica decided with a sigh, "Well, I'm going to go."

"What? No!" Joey whined as he wrapped his arms around her waist before she could leave, "We were going to watch Baywatch."

Veronica had joined Chandler and Joey in their Baywatch ritual just like they'd joined her skincare routine. The boys got to watch Yasmin Bleeth while Veronica got to stare at David Charvet while all three of them did face masks.

"Joey, the boxes are blocking the TV," She pointed out as she rubbed her thumb against his cheek comfortingly, "And every other surface in here."

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

Veronica was right. Roommate Ross was horrible.

Joey had convinced Veronica to come over to the apartment after he'd made a fort out of Ross' boxes. And even she had to admit that the fort was fun. But, unfortunately, their fun was cut short by Ross, who had been used to living alone and wasn't used to so much noise.