haechan - neighbor

word count : 685

-

"you have got to me kidding me! what the hell?" you heard your neighbor yell. you looked the wall separating the two apartments and raised an eyebrow in confusion. you heard more yelling but from a different voice this time, except you couldn't make out what the new voice was yelling about.

you sighed and put your book down on the coffee table in front of you. you turned the tv off before going to your front door. you put shoes on and headed into the hallway while closing the door to your apartment. you went to your neighbor's apartment and knocked on his door.

about thirty seconds later, the door opened and you saw your neighbor, "oh, hi." you have only seen him around a few times in the building, so you knew what he looked like.

"hi. is everything alright? i've been hearing a lot of yelling," you said to him.

"oh, are we that loud? i'm so sorry about that. me and my friends are playing video games right now," he said. "do you want to come in and play with us?" he suddenly offered.

"oh, no, it's fine. i just wanted to make sure everything was okay, but i hope you have fun," you said to him.

"oh, okay. well, it was nice meeting you," he replied.

"yea, nice to meet you too," you said and he closed the door while you walked back to your apartment. you went back inside and went to the kitchen. "that was so awkward..." you sighed and grabbed your book and your tote bag. you left your apartment and headed to a coffee shop near by.

"welcome in!" a worker spoke as you walked into the coffee shop.

you went up to the counter and looked at the menu. "can i get a coffee please?" you requested.

"anything else?" the worker asked. you shook your head. "that'll be four dollars."

you paid for your drink and the worker poured coffee into a cup for you. the worker handed your your coffee, "thank you."

"you're welcome!"

you took your coffee and sat down at a table. you drank some coffee before taking your book out of your bag and reading.

-

"oh, hey."

you put your book down on the table, and it closed while you looked up. your neighbor stood near you with a paper cup in his hands.

"hi," you smiled at him.

"let me guess. you came here to read since we were so loud?" he asked you.

"honestly, yea. i've been wanting to read this for awhile, so i wanted to enjoy reading it," you mentioned and held up your book.

"can i sit with you?" he asked.

"go ahead," you replied and he sat down across from you. you took your drink into your hands and drank some of it. "you know," you placed your drink down, "you never told me your name."

"oh, it's donghyuck, but i usually go by haechan," he said. "what's yours?"

"my name is y/n," you answered. "so i guess i'll hear more yelling in the future, huh?"

"i'll try to keep it down. we get in trouble a lot with noise at their dorm, and i just moved in so my friends wanted to come over and hang," haechan replied. "sorry about all the yelling today."

you shook your head, "it's fine. it's usually quiet in our building, so i don't mind a little noise," you said and took another sip. you looked at the time, "oh, i need to go back and do some work."

"to your apartment?" he asked.

you nodded and hummed in response, "yup, i need to finish stuff up for work." you replied and put your book in your bag and stood up. "i'll see you around."

"wait," he stood up. "i'll walk you back," haechan offered.

"you don't have to walk me back. it's not completely dark out yet," you said to him and took your drink into your hand.

"i need to go back too, let's just walk together," he said and smiled at you.

you smiled, "okay."