ten - childhood

word count : 631

-

"hi, just a large coffee and a chocolate chip cookie please," you said to the cashier. you paid for your drink and stepped to the waiting area. you looked at the menu and read the new items they had. "woah," someone bumped into you but you quickly regained your balance.

"sorry about that," a guy spoke to you. you looked over and saw a taller guy with a drink in his hands. "y/n?"

you stared at him, "do i know you?" you asked in confusion since you didn't recognize him.

"everyone called me "ten", but you always called me..." he lingered off and you finally remembered him.

"chitta?" you questioned and he instantly smiled.

"nice to see you again," he said and both of you hugged each other. "wow, how long has it been? six years?" he asked once you let go of him.

you nodded, "yea, i think so." you said and heard your order number called on the intercom. "let me grab my drink," you said. he nodded his head. you walked up to the counter and grabbed your drink and snack. then, you mixed in honey and creamer into your drink at the counter before returning to ten. "you have a minute? i'd love to talk."

"yea, i got time," he answered. "let's go sit down."

you two sat down at a table by the windows.

"let me guess, for the past six years, you went to school and are now a doctor," ten said to you.

you laughed, "close enough, i'm a researcher for a medical company." you mentioned and he was astonished.

"dang, i knew you'd be doing something cool like that. everyone thought so too. you always listened to lectures and watched documentaries." he said.

you took a sip of coffee, "and what have you been up to, chitta? dancing still?"

"i'm in a k-pop group," he answered.

"a k-pop group?" you asked and took another sip.

"what? you didn't know?" ten asked.

"like you said, i always listen to lectures and watch documentaries," you said to him. "i've been conducting research for the last two years, i haven't had time to listen to anything else."

"after all of these years, you're still a nerd."

you rolled your eyes, "oh, whatever."

he pulled sat up and pulled his phone out from his pocket. he looked up something and showed you his phone screen, "we have a lot of members. there's twenty-one of us."

"so like those japanese girl groups? don't they have a lot of people in their groups?" you suddenly asked.

"wooooow, you know about those groups but you don't know about mine. i'm offended," ten dramatically replied.

"wait until you're in my shoes," you laughed. you unwrapped the cookie, "want half?"

"sure," he replied. you split the cookie as best as you could and handed him half. "so, you have a boyfriend?" ten asked. you raised an eyebrow at him. "what?"

"i haven't dated anyone since college," you mentioned. "i don't get a lot of free time anymore."

"me too, i travel a lot."

you took a sip of coffee and looked at the time on your watch, "oh shoot, i have to go. i have a lecture." you said and stood up.

ten stood up, "a lecture? what are they talking about."

"i'm teaching a lecture on bacteria," you said with a smile.

ten smiled. "damn y/n. you're gettin' up there," he said to you. "wanna meet up again sometime?"

"sure," you reached into your bag and took out a business card. "call me," you said while handing him the card.

"business cards? impressive," he said and put the card in a pocket inside his jacket.

you giggled, "see you later, chitta."

"see ya later, y/n."