Ch-49

Gao Yu Lan did not know what to call the situation now between herself and Yin Ze.  Is it a cold war or holding a grudge?
She did not think so because they did not quarrel and also they did not say anything hurtful to each other.  She was not angry with him but it was just that in her heart she felt restless and unhappy, so she only wanted to be alone for a few days.
Although she did not think it is a cold war, it is a fact that they were separated from each other for three days without any communication.  Ever since the first night Yin Ze sent her two text messages to tease her, there was no more action from him following that.  And all the while, she was always thinking……wait for him to send another text message and she will respond to him.  However, he did not send any.   She let it drag like this and in the blink of an eye, three days passed.  She had already sorted out her feelings and the longer this dragged on, the more afraid she was to call Yin Ze.
Gao Father and Gao Mother were very surprised by their daughter’s sudden return and even asked her what had happened.  Gao Yu Lan only said that she was going to start work immediately but wanted to come back to celebrate Gao Father’s birthday.  Actually, Gao Father’s birthday was still a week away and this year is not the year to celebrate Gao Father’s birthday on a grand scale.  The old couple originally did not intend to celebrate at all and Gao Mother had decided just to knit him a sweater as a birthday present.  However, he still felt very happy when his daughter came home to celebrate his birthday even though he knew it was only an excuse.
(The Chinese usually celebrate birthdays of the elders on a grand scale meaning that they will gather friends and relatives to have a big feast or hold banquets.  According to the age calculated in the lunar calendar, grand birthdays are usually be held when a male elder reaches the age of 60 and celebrate every subsequent ten years while a female elder will hold birthdays from age 61 and celebrate every subsequent ten years.)
This day is Gao Yu Lan’s fourth day at home and the day after tomorrow is her father’s birthday.  She went shopping to pick out a gift for her father the whole day but Yin Ze was always on her mind and her mind kept wandering.  In the end, she did not buy anything.  At eleven o’clock in the evening, she laid on the bed tossing and turning, feeling restless and unable to sleep.  Finally, she could not help but call Yin Ze.
With just a ring, Yin Ze had picked up the call but he did not speak.  Gao Yu Lan waited for a long while and timidly said.  “Hello..……”
“Who are you looking for?”  Mr. Yin Ze’s voice on the other end drawled.

Gao Yu Lan became quiet……he is really angry, what should she do?

“I’m sorry, I…….”  The first thing she wanted to do was confess and quickly apologize.  But how is she going to explain that she did not run away intentionally?…….when she had obviously run away deliberately?   Tell him she doesn’t want to make him angry?  But he’s already angry……
“Who are you looking for?”  Uncle Yin was still pretending to have received a call from someone unknown to him.  Suddenly Gao Yu Lan felt sad.  She held the phone but was speechless and Yin Ze waited for a long while on the other side.

“Hey……..”  He said.  “If you are not speaking, I’m going to hang up.”
Gao Yu Lan’s tears welled up.  These past few days she was feeling depressed and she had mulled over all the things that had happened.  She could not help but think of him and it was not easy for her to muster the courage to call him and now he is behaving so cruelly.  She felt very sad.  The more she thought, the sadder she became, and finally, she burst into tears.
“Hey, hey……”  Yin Ze heard her crying and became anxious.  “Don’t use this trick.  We have not started talking yet.  The minute you come on, you can’t use this weapon of mass destruction.  Don’t cry…..don’t cry……  I’m just joking.  I’m just teasing you, don’t cry.”
As soon as he said that, Gao Yu Lan simply let herself go and bawled.  She felt so sad that she just wanted to cry.
Yin Ze sighed on the other end of the line.  “Okay, okay, it’s my fault.  My dear, I’m wrong….”  He kept coaxing her.  “I shouldn’t simply joke.  You know I always have a cheap mouth, it’s my fault.  I’m sorry, don’t dump me.”  He choked on the last few words.  “You can’t dump me because of my interests…….  If you don’t want me, what shall I do?  I can only bring Mantou with me and wander around………wu*, wu*, wu*……. (*crying sounds)
Gao Yu Lan sniffled and said.  “You have already admitted you’re wrong, why do you still have to play-act?  You’re really hateful, I hate you the most…….”