Ch-63

Yin Bin Restaurant is an old restaurant in C-city.  During the era of Gao Father and Gao Mother, it was considered grand to dine in that restaurant.  Later more and more restaurants opened up but Yin Bin Restaurant still maintained their old style of business operation without any significant changes to their menu. The waiters served food with wooden expressions and tend to throw down the dishes when serving.  In the end, their business eventually declined.
A year ago, a well-known restaurant group acquired Yin Bin Restaurant.  It was renovated and revamped and when the restaurant finally reopened again, Yin Bin Restaurant had changed beyond recognition.  Now not only is the ambiance good but the menu also has a new line-up.  The waiters’ uniform and their smiling faces are famous and the restaurant is one of the best in C-city.  Now if one wants to have a meal in Yin Bin Restaurant, then one has to wait patiently in a long queue.
The classmate gathering was initiated by Qi Na so she had made an early booking at Yin Bin Restaurant.  She just wanted to show off her financial standing and her connections.  During the Spring Festival, even if one has the money it would not guarantee a reservation can be made.
Qi Na reserved the private room called ‘Fu Gui Hua Kai’ and in the room were two large tables which could seat thirty people.
(Fu Gui Hua Kai means ‘Riches and Honor Blooms’ and Fu Gui Hua is the name of a flower.  Chinese restaurants sometimes name their private rooms by auspicious names instead of numbers.)
Gao Yu Lan, Yin Ze, and Chen Ruo Yu came on time.  There were already many classmates waiting in the private room and when they saw Gao Yu Lan, they were shocked by her unexpected arrival.
The classmates who had arrived earlier all sat at one table.  When Gao Yu Lan and Chen Ruo Yu came in, they noticed everyone had embarrassed expressions on their faces and after an exchange of awkward greetings, Gao Yu Lan and Chen Ruo Yu simply went over to sit down at the next table.
Gao Yu Lan, who had long been spoilt by Yin Ze’s good cooking, had now become picky on her food.  After having tasted and seen all sorts of delicious food, she was not the least interested in whatever food Yin Bin Restaurant has to offer.  Instead, Yin Ze’s occupational disease persisted and when they sat down, the first thing he did was take the menu and scrutinized it.

Everyone in the room was waiting politely for the arrival of the organizers, Qi Na and Zheng Tao but only Yin Ze who had not attended this type of gathering before was brazenly holding the menu and studying it.  He even asked the waiter for the prices of pre-meal drinks and snacks for this reserved room and it attracted sidelong glances from all the people present.

After a while, Yang Yang arrived with her boyfriend and two other classmates.  When she saw the distinct segregation in the room, she thought for a while and then went over to sit at Chen Ruo Yu’s table.  Just as Chen Ruo Yu was introducing Yang Yang to Yin Ze, Qi Na and Zheng Tao also came in with several classmates.
Everyone stood up and greeted them.  Gao Yu Lan and Chen Ruo Yu glanced at them, remained seated, and continued with their conversation while Yin Ze continued to study the menu.

When Qi Na saw Gao Yu Lan had come, she was very happy and on seeing Yin Ze, the country bumpkin with his head buried in the menu, she felt even prouder.  She walked over and pretended to be affectionate by putting her hands on Gao Yu Lan’s shoulder and said.  “It has been a long time since we met, Yu Lan.  I’m really glad you can come.”
Gao Yu Lan did not speak and lowered her head to drink tea while Chen Ruo Yu propped up her chin to look at Qi Na as if she was waiting to watch a good show.  In her heart, Qi Na felt a little uncomfortable and could not help but to turn her muzzle at Chen Ruo Yu.
“Ruo Yu, I heard you’re selling insurance, how are you doing?  Do you want me to introduce some customers to you?  I know that doing this type of job, you’ll have to look for friends and acquaintances, or else how can you sell?  To call up and beg people every day is not right, isn’t it?”
“You’re right.”  Chen Ruo Yu smiled slightly and nodded her head vigorously.  “Qi Na, you are such a good person.  Since you’re so understanding then let’s start with you.  First, you must buy ten policies from me to show your sincerity, what do you say?”
Everyone became quiet.  They had not expected that Chen Ruo Yu would not feel embarrassed but she was even really brave enough to ask Qi Na to buy insurance from her.  However, it was Qi Na who started this, and to everyone, it was obvious she was not sincere in referring customers to Ruo Yu.  Therefore it was not right for them to say anything at this time.
Zheng Tao hurriedly tried to resolve the situation and said that everyone should not be talking now but to arrange for food to be served so they can talk while they are eating.  Qi Na gnashed her teeth, took the opportunity to back down, and called for the waiter to start serving their food.